The following events occurred in the 16th century:
- Quidditch Beaters experiment with iron versus lead Bludgers.
- Edessa Sakndenberg was Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the early sixteenth century.
- A different version of The Wizard and the Hopping Pot emerges among wizarding families. In the revised story, the Hopping Pot protects an innocent wizard from his torch-bearing, pitchfork-toting neighbours by chasing them away from the wizard's cottage, catching them and swallowing them whole. At the end of the story, by which time the Pot has consumed most of his neighbours, the wizard extracts a promise from the few remaining villagers that he will be left in peace to practise magic. In return, he instructs the Pot to render up its victims, who are duly burped out of its depths, slightly mangled. This happened because of the persecution of witches and wizards all over Europe in the early fifteenth century.
- Zygmunt Budge, living alone on the island of Hermetray after leaving Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of fourteen, writes Book of Potions.
- Muggle-born Scottish wizard Tertius chased from his home by his magic-fearing brothers and accidentally falls into the sea. Washing up on the island of Hermetray, he is taken in by hermit potioneer Zygmunt Budge. Wary of outsiders and wishing to protect his secrets, Budge sends Tertius away with a few coins, a new boat and cloak, and a sample of his recently perfected Felix Felicis, only telling Tertius the latter was a "farewell drink". Over the next twelve hours, Tertius is blown off course, but fortunately lands near the only wizarding family for fifty miles, who take him to Diagon Alley where Tertius finds a bag of abandoned gold to purchase a new wand and robes, and also secures a job as a Curse-Breaker for Gringotts.
Notes and references
- Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 6 (Changes in Quidditch since the Fourteenth Century)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) DVD (Disc 2 - The Quest of Sir Cadogan)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard - Albus Dumbledore on "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot"
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions arrives on PS3 next month - PlayStation.Blog
B.C. era - 1st to 10th century - 11th century - 12th century - 13th century - 14th century
15th century - 16th century - 17th century - 18th century - 19th century - 20th century - 21st century
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.