At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The following events occurred in the year 1980:
- Professor Sybill Trelawney tells Albus Dumbledore the prophecy concerning Harry Potter and Tom Marvolo Riddle.
- Death Eater Igor Karkaroff is captured by Auror Alastor Moody and sent to Azkaban.
- Millicent Bagnold succeeds Harold Minchum becoming Minister for Magic until her retirement in 1990.
- 1 March: Ronald Weasley
- 5 June: Draco Malfoy
- 23 June: Dudley Dursley
- 30 July: Neville Longbottom
- 31 July: Harry Potter
- Ernie Macmillan
- Terry Boot (presumed)
- Hannah Abbott (presumed)
- Susan Bones (presumed)
- Mandy Brocklehurst (presumed)
- Lavender Brown (presumed)
- Millicent Bulstrode (presumed)
- Michael Corner (presumed)
- Vincent Crabbe (presumed)
- Justin Finch-Fletchley (presumed)
- Seamus Finnigan (presumed)
- Anthony Goldstein (presumed)
- Gregory Goyle (presumed)
- Daphne Greengrass (presumed)
- Morag MacDougal (presumed)
- Leanne (presumed)
- Lily Moon (presumed)
- Theodore Nott (presumed)
- Pansy Parkinson (presumed)
- Parvati Patil (presumed)
- Sally-Anne Perks (presumed)
- Dean Thomas (presumed)
- Lisa Turpin (presumed)
- Blaise Zabini (presumed)
- Piers Polkiss (presumed)
- Dennis (presumed)
- Gordon (presumed)
- Malcolm (presumed)
- c.1980: Evan Rosier and Wilkes, both known Death Eaters, are killed by Aurors.
- c.1979-1980: Dean Thomas's father
Individuals that started at Hogwarts
Behind the scenes
- Lasco Atkins, who played Quidditch Wizard and Pedestrian, born.
- 3 March: Actress Katherine Waterston, who played Porpentina Scamander, is born.
- 31 March: Ponciano Almeida, who played a Durmstrang student, born.
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 37 (The Lost Prophecy)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 30 (The Pensieve)
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter Lexicon Timeline - Dudley Dursley
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 22 (After the Burial) showed Ernie attending Potions on 21 April, 1996 with Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy, and all other students who were not old enough to take their Apparition tests. Thus, he must have been born in 1980.
- Presumption is based on these students beginning at Hogwarts in 1991, meaning they were born between 1 September 1979 and 31 August 1980.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 30 (The Pensieve) Igor Karkaroff named them to the Council of Magical Law shortly after the end of the First Wizarding War, having spent a short time in Azkaban himself. Evan and Wilkes were killed not long after Igor was captured meaning they died around 1980 to 1981.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Dean Thomas' father left his Muggle wife and child shortly after Dean was born to protect them from Death Eaters and was murdered not long after. Dean was born sometime between September 1 1979 to August 31 1980 so his father died around the same time too.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
|20th century : 1980s|
|1980 - 1981 - 1982 - 1983 - 1984 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1988 - 1989|
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.