At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The 1980s was the decade between the First and Second Wizarding Wars against Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Since most of the magical community considered Voldemort to have died on 31 October, 1981, the vast majority of the population expected the future would only bring peace.
However, even those who were not yet born or who were very young when Voldemort was active, still feared to speak his name many years after his supposed death, unlike the peacetime between the fall of Gellert Grindelwald in 1945 and Voldemort's rise to power in 1969/1970.
The 1980s saw the arrest, imprisonment and deaths of numerous Death Eaters. It was in this decade that the remaining giants were driven into seclusion.
Many of the Second Wizarding War heroes were born during the years 1980 and 1981 such as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, and Ginny Weasley. Draco Malfoy was also born during this decade.
Gwenog Jones, Bill, Charlie and Percy Weasley, Oliver Wood, Nymphadora Tonks, Marcus Flint, and possibly Hestia Jones all started or attended Hogwarts during the 1980s and early 1990s; elsewhere Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krum started at Beauxbatons and Durmstrang respectively during the middle 1980s.
- Early 1980s: The British Wizarding Broadcasting Corporation is founded. It is disbanded soon after on the grounds of being in violation of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy.
- 31 October 1981: the first fall of Lord Voldemort.
- 1981 onward: Death Eaters put on trial for their crimes.
- 1984: Several students, including Jacob's sibling, Rowan Khanna, Charlie Weasley and Nymphadora Tonks, start at Hogwarts.
- Late 1980s: All five Cursed Vaults were infiltrated by Jacob's sibling and their friends.
- 1985–1986 school year: Charlie Weasley played as Seeker for Gryffindor Quidditch team this season. Gryffindor won the Quidditch Cup.
- 1986–1987 school year: Either Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup.
- 1987–1988 school year: Either Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup.
- 1988–1989 school year: Either Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup.
Notes and references
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 10 (The Vault of Ice)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 9 (The Vault of Fear)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 16 (The Forest Vault)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 30 (Into the Vault)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 42 (The Final Vault)
|20th century : 1980s|
|1980 - 1981 - 1982 - 1983 - 1984 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1988 - 1989|
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s