The following events occurred in the year 1991:
- 1 Events
- 2 Deaths
- 3 Behind the scenes
- 4 External links
- 5 See also
- 6 Notes and references
- 23 June: Dudley Dursley's eleventh birthday; his parents take him, along with his cousin Harry Potter and best friend Piers Polkiss to the zoo. Harry speaks Parseltongue for the first time to a boa constrictor.
- Harry and Dudley finish St. Grogory's Primary School.
- Charlie Weasley and Nymphadora Tonks graduate from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- 24 July: Harry Potter receives his letter, which Vernon and Petunia Dursley burn. Harry's bedroom is moved from the Cupboard Under the Stairs to Dudley's second bedroom.
- 30 July (Monday): The Dursley's and Harry row out and stay the night at the Hut-on-the-Rock.
- 31 July (Tuesday):
- Harry Potter's eleventh birthday; he is visited in the Hut-on-the-Rock by Rubeus Hagrid, who tells Harry of his wizard heritage and takes him to Diagon Alley for the first time the next morning.
- Quirinus Quirrell breaks into Gringotts Wizarding Bank, but fails to steal the Philosopher's Stone, which was already taken by Hagrid.
- 1 September: Harry and his classmates begin at Hogwarts.
- 12 September: Harry Potter becomes the youngest Seeker in a century for the Gryffindor Quidditch team.
- 31 October: During the Hallowe'en feast at Hogwarts, a mountain troll is let loose by Professor Quirrell, who looks for the Philosopher's Stone. Harry Potter and Ron Weasley save Hermione Granger from the troll, and the three become friends.
- 25 December: Harry receives his late father's Invisibility Cloak from Albus Dumbledore as a Christmas present. He also finds the Mirror of Erised and sees his family for the first time.
Individuals that started at Hogwarts
- Lavender Brown
- Seamus Finnigan
- Hermione Granger
- Neville Longbottom
- Parvati Patil
- Harry Potter
- Dean Thomas
- Ronald Weasley
- Fay Dunbar
- Fay Dunbar's Friend
- Hannah Abbott
- Susan Bones
- Justin Finch-Fletchley
- Wayne Hopkins
- Megan Jones
- Ernest Macmillan
- Terry Boot
- Mandy Brocklehurst
- Michael Corner
- Anthony Goldstein
- Sue Li
- Morag MacDougal
- Padma Patil
- Lisa Turpin
- Millicent Bulstrode
- Vincent Crabbe
- Tracey Davis
- Gregory Goyle
- Daphne Greengrass
- Draco Malfoy
- Theodore Nott
- Pansy Parkinson
- Blaise Zabini
- Stephen Cornfoot (Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw)
- Kevin Entwhistle (Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw)
- Roger Malone (Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw)
- Lily Moon (Hufflepuff or Slytherin)
- Oliver Rivers (Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw)
- Sally-Anne Perks (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Slytherin)
- Sophie Roper (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Slytherin)
- Runcorn (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Slytherin)
- Sally Smith (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Slytherin)
Individuals that graduated at Hogwarts
- Arcturus Black III
- Magenta Comstock
- Perpetua Fancourt
- Tilly Toke
- Between 13 February, 1990, and 12 February, 1991: Pandora Lovegood
Behind the scenes
- 13 January: Genevieve Gaunt, the actress who portrays Pansy Parkinson in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, is born.
- 17 February: Bonnie Wright, the actress who portrays Ginny Weasley in the Harry Potter films, is born.
- 20 March: Grace Bruce, who played a Snatcher, born.
- 21 April: Frank Dillane, the actor who portrays young Tom Riddle in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is born.
- 14 May: Chessie Healy, who played a Gryffindor student in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) is born.
- 3 June: Jamie Marks, who played Ernie Macmillan, born.
- 16 June: Ryan Nelson, who played Michael Corner, born.
- 16 August: Evanna Lynch, the actress who portrays Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter films, is born.
- 18 October: Toby Regbo, the actor who portrays a Young Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is born.
|20th century : 1990s|
|1990 - 1991 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998 - 1999|
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) - see this image.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 2 (The Vanishing Glass)
- In Britain, students leave primary school for high school when they are eleven. Summer break starts in the middle of July and Harry wouldn't have turned eleven until the end of July, so he was only ten when he left. Harry would have left anyway, since he received his letter for Hogwarts after and started there shortly after his eleventh birthday.
- Charlie Weasley was born in December 1972 according to both J.K Rowling's Official Site and the fact he was just over seven years older than Ron who was definitively born in March 1980. This means he started Hogwarts in September 1984. Nymphadora said she was in the same year as Charlie at Hogwarts in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Therefore, they both would have left in July 1991.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 3 (The Letters from No One) - "Monday. This reminded Harry of something. If it was Monday — and you could usually count on Dudley to know the days of the week, because of television — then tomorrow, Tuesday, was Harry’s eleventh birthday."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 3 (The Letters from No One)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 7 (The Sorting Hat)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 10 (Hallowe'en)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 11 (Quidditch)
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Original Forty" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Black Family Tapestry
- Wizard of the Month
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Luna says she was nine when her mother died. J.K. Rowling later confirmed that Luna's birthday was February 13th, meaning Pandora died between Luna's 9th and 10th birthday.
- Genevieve Gaunt on Wikipedia
- Bonnie Wright on Wikipedia
- Jamie Marks profile on A&J Management website
- Evanna Lynch on Wikipedia
- Toby Regbo on Wikipedia
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.