The 1995–1996 school year was Harry Potter's fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The school undergoes many changes during this time, mainly due to the intereference of the Ministry of Magic and the Hogwarts High Inquisitor, Dolores Umbridge. For more specifities on Harry's experiences during this year, please see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
The staff at Hogwarts during the 1995–1996 school year were as follows:
- Headmaster: Professor Albus Dumbledore (resigned); Professor Dolores Umbridge
- Deputy Head: Professor Minerva McGonagall
- Head of Slytherin House: Professor Severus Snape
- Head of Ravenclaw House: Professor Filius Flitwick
- Head of Hufflepuff House: Professor Pomona Sprout
- Head of Gryffindor House: Professor Minerva McGonagall
- Arithmancy teacher: Professor Septima Vector
- Astronomy teacher: Professor Aurora Sinistra
- Care of Magical Creatures teacher: Professor Rubeus Hagrid (sacked); Professor Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank
- Charms master: Professor Filius Flitwick
- Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher: Professor Dolores Umbridge
- Divination teacher: Professor Sybill Trelawney (sacked); Professor Firenze
- Flying instructor: Madam Rolanda Hooch
- Herbology teacher: Professor Pomona Sprout
- History of Magic teacher: Professor Cuthbert Binns
- Muggle Studies teacher: Professor Charity Burbage
- Potions master: Professor Severus Snape
- Study of Ancient Runes teacher: Professor Bathsheda Babbling
- Transfiguration teacher: Professor Minerva McGonagall
- Librarian: Irma Pince
- Gamekeeper: Professor Rubeus Hagrid (sacked)
- Caretaker: Argus Filch
- Angelina Johnson: Captain and Chaser.
- Katie Bell: Chaser.
- Alicia Spinnet: Chaser.
- Ron Weasley: Keeper.
- Harry Potter: Seeker.
- Fred Weasley: Beater.
- George Weasley: Beater.
Shortly after one of Gryffindor's first Quidditch matches, Draco Malfoy insulted and provoked Fred and George Weasley, Ron Weasley and Harry Potter. All promptly attacked him, except for Ron, had their broomsticks confiscated and were banned from Quidditch for life by Dolores Umbridge (although these bans were lifted after Umbridge was finally removed from Hogwarts). Their replacements were as follows:
The Ravenclaw Quidditch team members were as follows:
- Roger Davies: Captain and Chaser.
- Jeremy Stretton: Chaser.
- Randolph Burrow: Chaser.
- Grant Page: Keeper.
- Cho Chang: Seeker.
- Duncan Inglebee: Beater.
- Jason Samuels: Beater.
The Slytherin Quidditch team members during this school year were as follows:
- Graham Montague: Captain and Chaser.
- Adrian Pucey: Chaser.
- C. Warrington: Chaser.
- Miles Bletchley: Keeper.
- Draco Malfoy: Seeker.
- Vincent Crabbe: Beater.
- Gregory Goyle: Beater.
The Hufflepuff Quidditch team members during this school year were as follows:
- Zacharias Smith: Captain and Chaser.
- Cadwallader: Chaser.
- Tamsin Applebee: Chaser.
- Herbert Fleet: Keeper.
- Summerby: Seeker.
- Maxine O'Flaherty: Beater.
- Anthony Rickett: Beater.
Quidditch Cup results
In 1995, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley create a secret "club" entitled Dumbledore's Army. The purpose of the latter was to prepare students for what was "out there" and to give them some practical use of their spells for their O.W.L.s. The Army was required to split up once Cho Chang's friend Marietta Edgecombe gave their location away to the Inquisitorial Squad.
Weasley family crisis
Shortly before the Christmas holidays, it becomes common knowledge around the House of Gryffindor, as well as around the school, that the Weasley family, with Harry Potter, had to leave early due to some sort of family crisis. The exact details of this crisis are known by few, however.  Students soon realise that the Weasleys returned once classes have resumed for the new Term.
Professor Umbridge's influence
Defence Against the Dark Arts professor
As Headmaster Albus Dumbledore could not find a suitable Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, one was appointed by the Ministry of Magic. This person was Dolores Umbridge, the Senior Under-Secretary to the Minister for Magic (who was Cornelius Fudge at the time).
- Hermione: "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells."
- Umbridge: "Using spells?! Well, I can´t imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom. You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."
- — Hermione Granger and Dolores Umbridge, their first D.A.D.A lesson.[src]
Professor Umbridge believed in solely theoretical approach to Defence Against the Dark Arts, which was also the Ministry's view at the time. She claimed that there never would be a situation where students would need to defend themselves from the Dark Arts and denied the return of Lord Voldemort. Her teaching method was also impractical because the O.W.L.s that students were studying for had a practical section in the Defence Against the Dark Arts exam.
The following is a list of crimes and their "unusual" punishment, as handed out by Professor Umbridge.
- Yelling in class – Harry Potter, Michael and Lee Jordan were punished by having to write with a special quill which used the blood on the back of their hands as ink.
- Attacking others – George Weasley, Fred Weasley and Harry Potter were banned from Quidditch for life and had their brooms confiscated when they attacked Draco Malfoy after a match. Their bans were lifted right after Umbridge was removed from Hogwarts.
Position as High Inquisitor
- "Having already revolutionised the teaching of Defence Against the Dark Arts, Dolores Umbridge will, as High Inquisitor, have powers to address the seriously falling standards at Hogwarts School."
- —Cornelius Fudge[src]
After working at Hogwarts for a short while and having a discussion with the Minister, Hogwarts was appointed Educational Decree Number 23, and Umbridge's power was increased as she was appointed the first-ever "Hogwarts High Inquisitor". She used this position to evaluate and harass the teachers at Hogwarts. When Harry formed a group to teach practical Defence Against the Dark Arts, Umbridge abolished all student groups of three or more members, meaning students weren't allowed to be seen together in a larger number of three or they'd be suspected of rule breaking. This also included Quidditch.
When Harry gave an interview about Lord Voldemort to The Quibbler, Umbridge then banned possession of the magazine. Umbridge also went on to make ludicrous restrictions such as boys and girls not being allowed to stand within a certain limit of one another.
These actions were sanctioned by the Ministry of Magic in the form of Educational Decrees, but students merely found ways to circumvent them. With her new power, she dismissed Sybill Trelawney as Professor of Divination, however when she attempted to send Trelawney away from the school, she was unable to because Albus Dumbledore still had the power to keep Trelawney on school grounds and chose to do so.
Umbridge was horrified when Dumbledore replaced Trelawney with a centaur named Firenze, and considered him, a mixture of human and horse, a "filthy half-breed" which her strong opinion of centaurs would later get her into trouble. 
All teachers were "tested" by Professor Umbridge during her time as Hogwarts High Inquisitor. She asked them questions concerning their time teaching at Hogwarts and also to see if they were "competent" at their job. She enjoyed putting teachers on the spot, however some, such as Professor McGonagall, did the same to her in return. She was very prejudiced against some, particularly half-breeds, and judged them before even questioning them.
The following teachers were fired by Dolores Umbridge:
- Sybill Trelawney
- Albus Dumbledore (although he was officially dismissed by Cornelius Fudge, on Dolores Umbridge's recommendation).
- Rubeus Hagrid
- Professor Firenze probably would have been sacked also (due to Umbridge's hatred for half-breeds), if Umbridge had had the time.
More Educational Decrees
The Inquisitorial Squad
The Hogwarts High Inquisitor created an Inquisitorial Squad which students were eligible to join. Upon becoming a member of the squad, students were able to gain extra credit and award and deduct house points from other students (a power that prefects did not have).
It is unknown who won the House Cup during the 1995–1996 school year.
- Harry Potter and Cho Chang.
- Ginny Weasley and Michael Corner.
- Roger Davies and an unknown date at Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- 1991–1992 school year
- 1992–1993 school year
- 1993–1994 school year
- 1994–1995 school year
- 1996–1997 school year
- 1997–1998 school year
Notes and references
- ↑ Many rumours circulate about Harry Potter's whereabouts throughout Hogwarts, therefore it can be presumed that students at school noticed his absence. It is confimed in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that the boys in Harry and Ron's dormitory were aware of the crisis, as they were woken by Harry's nightmares. Hermione Granger would have been one of the few students aware that the crisis was in actual fact due to Arthur Weasley's attack from Nagini.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)