At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration was a textbook on Transfiguration by Emeric Switch. This textbook was used as an introduction to Transfiguration for young witches and wizards, it contained basic transformation spells. A copy of this book cost 1 Galleon at Flourish and Blotts.
It was a required textbook and as such was on the list of items needed by first years for Transfiguration classes in 1991 and 1992 for first and second-year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Before Ginny Weasley's first year at Hogwarts, Lucius Malfoy managed to slip Tom Riddle's diary into her second-hand copy of the book in Flourish and Blotts, leading to the re-opening of the Chamber of Secrets in that term.
Form a clear mental picture of the object you are hoping to create before attempting a Transfiguring spell.
Incomplete Transfigurations are difficult to put right, but you must attempt to do so. Leaving the head of a rabbit on a footstool is irresponsible and dangerous. Say ‘Reparifarge!’ and the object or creature should return to its natural state.
Larger creatures are difficult to Transfigure except by skilled and powerful wizards. Know your limits.
Behind the scenes
- The book's cover is brown in the films, but violet in the first game and red in Pottermore.
- In the PS1 version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, this book is titled A Beginner's Guide to Transformation.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Console versions)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (As "A Beginner's Guide to Transformation")
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- The Art of Harry Potter Mini Book of Graphic Design
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells