|"I mistranslated 'ehwaz'! It means 'partnership', not 'defence'. I mixed it up with 'eihwaz'."
At least some content in this article is derived from information present only in official translations of Harry Potter media to other languages. As such, the contents of the article may or may not be considered canonical, depending on how well they overlap with established canon.
- "Le Quidditch est né en Grande-Bretagne et le vocabulaire qui s'y rattache est bien entendu anglais. Pendant des siècles, l'usage de ces termes anglais a prévalu sur tous les terrains d'Europe. Cependant, depuis la fondation, en 1635, de l'Académie française des sorciers, une commission d'experts présidée par deux éminents académiciens, Boniface Toubeau et Archibald Bienbon, a créé des équivalents français à l'usage des équipes — et des supporters — de notre pays. "
- —"Glossaire à l'usage des apprentis sorciers", Le Quidditch à travers les âges[src]
The Académie has a committee of experts chaired by two prominent academics, Boniface Toubeau and Archibald Bienbon, who were responsible for the creation of French equivalents for the originally British Quidditch terms. An English-French glossary by this committee was included on the French edition of Quidditch Through the Ages, by Kennilworthy Whisp.
Behind the scenes
- This organisation is only mentioned in the French translation of Quidditch Through the Ages.
- The Académie is an obvious reference to the Académie française, a French learned body on French language, also founded in 1635.
- Quidditch Through the Ages (French version only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Loosely translated: "Quidditch was born in Britain and the vocabulary associated with it is, of course, English. For centuries, the use of English terms has prevailed in all areas of Europe. However, since the founding, in 1635, of the French Academy of Wizards, a committee of experts chaired by two prominent academics, Boniface Toubeau and Archibald Bienbon, created French equivalents for the use of teams — and fans — of our country."
- ↑ Le Quidditch à travers les âges