At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
Due to the violent and carnivorous nature of the Acromantula, the venom is virtually impossible to collect from a live specimen. The venom is therefore easier to collect after the death of the creature, but the venom dries out not long after death, so a Wizard must be swift in collecting it. Another problem is the Acromantula's cannibalism, making fresh corpses extremely hard to come by. Because of the rarity of the venom, it may fetch up to a hundred Galleons a pint on the open market. The venom is used in Potion-making, and is a known ingredient of the Armadillo Bile Mixture.
On 24 June 1995, Harry Potter was afflicted with this venom when he suffered a bite to the leg from an Acromantula in the Triwizard Maze, though Fawkes healed the injury with his Phoenix tears. Seeing how Harry did not suffer any ill-effects during his trial in the maze and the Little Hangleton graveyard, the venom may be largely harmless.
Acromantula venom was the main reason why Horace Slughorn accompanied Harry Potter to Rubeus Hagrid's cabin for Aragog's funeral, on 20 April, 1997. Slughorn was able to acquire what is assumed to be a large amount of venom from Aragog before they buried him. Because Slughorn was at the funeral, he drank alcohol with Hagrid afterwards and soon became drunk. As a result Harry was able to gain the memory he had been tasked to get by Albus Dumbledore.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Behind the scenes
- In the the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, when Slughorn went down to see Hagrid preparing to bury Aragog, he requested Hagrid to allow him to collect the Acromantula venom instead of doing so sneakingly, though humourously, Slughorn accidentally pulled off the fang when he placed the bottle to it.