|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Africa is a continent in the eastern hemisphere. The known wizarding nations that comprise it are Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad, Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, Mauritius, Nigeria, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda and Zaire.
The Beninese city of Bohicon, the Burkinabé capital city of Ouagadougou, the Egyptian capital city of Cairo, the Ethiopian city of Gimbi, the Tanzanian city of Sumbawanga, the Togolese city of Tchamba and the Ugandan city of Patonga along with the Mountains of the Moon are known locations of wizarding communities.
The only known magical government body in the continent is the Burkinabé Ministry of Magic.
Uagadou, one of the eleven major wizarding schools of the world, is located in the Mountains of the Moon in Uganda. It is the largest of all wizarding schools, and it takes students from all over the continent.
It is known that other smaller schools in Africa have come and gone.
Magical games and sports
- The Gimbi Giant-Slayers, an Ethiopian Quidditch team, has won the All-Africa Cup twice.
- The Sumbawanga Sunrays, a Tanzanian Quidditch team, are very popular and famous for their looping formations.
- The Tchamba Charmers, a Togolese Quidditch team, are known as the "masters of the reverse pass".
- The Patonga Proudsticks, a Ugandan Quidditch team, are the most noteworthy team in Africa.
Magical creatures and plants
- The Diricawl is native to Mauritius.
- The Erumpent is native to Africa
- The Fwooper is native to Africa.
- The Nundu is native to East Africa.
- The Phoenix is native to Egypt.
- The Runespoor is native to Burkina Faso
- The Sphinx is native to Egypt.
- Streeler is native to Africa.
- The Tebo is native to Congo and Zaire.
- Egypt is the earliest place where magic is recorded. In its society, wizards and witches were held in high esteem.
- In 1991, Oliver Wood tells Harry Potter about a Quidditch referee who was transported to the Sahara Desert during a match. This is because someone in the crowd turned his broomstick into a Portkey.
- In 1992, Gilderoy Lockhart claimed that he supposedly stopped a series of attacks in Ouagadougou, the capital city of Burkina Faso.
- In 1993, the Weasley family went on a trip to visit Bill Weasley in Egypt.
- In 1994, during the summer holidays, Hermione Granger mentioned Africa as a possible hiding place for Sirius Black, noting "Hedwig's not going to manage that journey in a few days," when Harry Potter was eager for a response to a letter he sent to him.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned in the word African)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them