At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Albania, officially Republic of Albania, is a country in Southeastern Europe. It borders Greece, Macedonia, Kosovo, and Montenegro. The capital city is Tirana. It is known for holding the forest that was the hiding place of Voldemort after his first defeat.
When Rowena Ravenclaw's daughter, Helena, stole her mother's diadem, she hid it in an Albanian forest. The Bloody Baron came to the forest to retrieve her, only to kill her on impulse when she refused, and then himself in repentance. The diadem remained hidden for several centuries, until Tom Marvolo Riddle discovered that Helena was the Grey Lady, the House Ghost of Ravenclaw, and managed to get the information about its resting place from her. He recovered it, murdered a peasant, and turned it into one of his Horcruxes.
Following his downfall in 1981, Tom Riddle, now known as Lord Voldemort, fled to the forests in Albania in his weakened state. In 1991, he encountered Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry's Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Quirrell, who was looking for him, so that he could at the very least try to capture him or at best learn from him. However, Quirrell overestimated himself, and Voldemort completely overpowered the man, thus leaving Albania and back to London.
Following his failed attempt to steal the Philosopher's Stone, Voldemort returned to Albania, weaker than ever. He was eventually about to give up all hope when he was discovered by his former servant, Peter Pettigrew, in 1994. Voldemort also broke the mind of Bertha Jorkins in Albania after she ran into Pettigrew at a wayside inn, learning of the Triwizard Tournament and setting into motion a plan to kill Harry Potter and return to full vitality. Having extracted Bertha for all the information she can provide, Voldemort killed her in Albania. Having Pettigrew crafting him a rudimentary body, Voldemort left Albania for good.
It is possible that Albanian wizards and witches have the option to attend Durmstrang Institute as it accepts students from all over Northern and Eastern Europe, as long as they are of wizarding heritage.
Albania has its own wizarding government of unknown form.
The following creatures are found in certain regions of Europe that Albania falls under:
The following creatures are found throughout the Mediterranean Sea:
The following creatures were all found worldwide:
Behind the scenes
- In medieval Latin, "Albania" can refer to both the country now known to be Republic of Albania, or an old name for Scotland. When referring to the country, the etymology of "Albania" is borrowed from Byzantine Greek Ἀλβανία (Albanía). For Scotland, the etymology is from Old Irish Albu, Albain, Alban. Today, it is still sometimes used poetically to refer to the island.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Albania on Wikipedia
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 17 (The Man with Two Faces)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 18 (Dobby's Reward)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 33 (The Death Eaters)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 24 (Rita Skeeter's Scoop)
- Albania#Latin on Wiktionary