Levski is a Bulgarian nickname-turned-surname of the freedom fighter Vasil Ivanov Kunchev, meaning "leonine" in reference to his athletic qualities and bravery. It is not used as a surname for other individuals.
Behind the scenes
- In the books, this character is known only by his surname. His first name is given as "Alexei" on a Famous Wizard Card in the video game version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- Alternatively, a spoof article by Sports Illustrated about the Quidditch World Cup gives his first name as Jakob.
- One of Bulgaria's most popular football teams is named after Vasil Levski, which creates additional allusions of Quidditch being the football counterpart of the wizarding community.
- "Levski" was the nickname of Vasil Ivanov Kunchev - a Bulgarian revolutionary renowned as the national hero of Bulgaria. Dubbed the Apostle of Freedom, Levski ideologised and strategised a revolutionary movement toliberate Bulgaria from Ottoman rule. He was sentenced to death and hanged in 1873.
- Levski is not a typical surname in Bulgaria.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (NDS edition) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references