- "Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world. It is distinctive for its mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam rises from the potion in spirals. Amortentia smells different to each person, according to what attracts them."
Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in existence. It causes a powerful infatuation or obsession from the drinker. It has a distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam rises from it in characteristic spirals.
- "They chose the one nearest a gold-coloured cauldron that was emitting one of the most seductive scents Harry had ever inhaled: Somehow it reminded him simultaneously of treacle tart, the woody smell of a broomstick handle, and something flowery he thought he might have smelled at the Burrow. He found that he was breathing very slowly and deeply and that the potion's fumes seemed to be filling him up like drink."
- —The aroma as smelled by Harry Potter[src]
The effects of the potion on a person are described to be near instantaneous; with the person who drank the potion appearing "pale and sickly" and becoming obsessed with the object of their affections, speaking of them as though "hit by a ray of purest sunlight" and becoming excited or dangerously unstable towards others.
The potion must be administrated continuously in order to maintain the false love in the drinker. Otherwise, as with Merope Gaunt and Tom Riddle Snr, the effects will wear off and the victim would regain their own free will.
Known aromas for individuals
|Hermione Granger||Freshly mown grass, new parchment, and Ron Weasley's hair|
|Harry Potter||Treacle tart, a broomstick handle, and Ginny Weasley.|
- Amor is a Roman god of love, and the word "Amour" in French means "Love".
- "Tentia" is also Latin for "held".
Behind the scenes
- According to J.K. Rowling, a large fountain filled with Amortentia could be found in the Love Room in the Department of Mysteries.
- In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Hermione does not say what the third thing she smells is, although Rowling revealed in an interview that the third smell was Ron's hair. However, in the film version, Hermione states that the third thing she smells is spearmint toothpaste, due to the fact that in an earlier scene at The Burrow where Ron points out to Hermione there is toothpaste on her face and her parents being dentists.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince) - "“Hang on,” said a voice close by Harry’s left ear and he caught a sudden waft of that flowery smell he had picked up in Slughorn’s dungeon. He looked around and saw that Ginny had joined them."
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.K. Rowling and the Live Chat, Bloomsbury.com, July 30, 2007
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 18 (Birthday Surprises)