At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Ora et Labora."
- — Professor Swott's motto, inscribed on his portrait[src]
Professor Swott died sometime in or prior to 1992. Two portraits of him hung at Hogwarts: one depicted a bespectacled young man, and another, painted in 1724 and hung in the Headmaster's office, depicted an older wizard with a long ginger beard. Swott's name was also carved into a wood panel on the wall of the school's Divination classroom.
"Ambrose" is a name, which ultimately derives from the Greek name Ambrosios, meaning "immortal". Swott may have been based on swot, a British slang term, meaning "to study hard" or "one who studies hard."
Behind the scenes
- It is possible that Swott's portrait is a reference to a portrait of Johannes Kepler, a German mathematician, astronomer and astrologer.
- The portrait depicting a younger Swott seems to have been based on a 1685 self-portrait of Sir Godfrey Kneller (1646-1723).
- The motto inscribed on Swott's portrait, "Ora et Labora" (meaning "Pray and Work") was the motto of the Benedictine monks.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Name seen on wood panelling)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- J. K. Rowling stated at the Edinburgh Book Festival on 15 August 2004 (source) that all portraits at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are of deceased individuals. Thus, Wilkins must have died sometime in or before 1992, given his portrait is visible in the "Dumbledore's Office" tour on Disc 2 of the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) DVD'.
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter Limited Edition - The Paintings of Hogwarts: Masterpieces from the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Sets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) DVD (Disc 2 - Dumbledore's Office) (see this image)
- See this image.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) - see this image
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) - Chapter 16
- In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24, Harry notices on the Marauder's Map that Draco Malfoy is in a boys' bathroom with Myrtle Warren, thereby confirming that the Map shows ghosts.
- "Ambrose" on Behind the Name
- "Swot" on Wiktionary