Ancient Studies is an extra-curricular class taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The subject presumably focuses on ancient magic, such as the ancient Egyptians' spells. This class is taught in a classroom on the sixth-floor corridor.
Behind the scenes
- While not confirmed as such, in consequence of an extra-curricular class, Ancient Studies, like Alchemy, is presumably optional and only taught given there is sufficient demand.
- The subject is presumably only taught to sixth and seven years at Hogwarts.
- If not necessarily a requirement, taking Ancient Studies is presumably very useful for potential future applicants for the job of Curse-Breaker for Gringotts Wizarding Bank.
- It is also possible that rather than being about magic, Ancient Studies could be a specialised branch of History of Magic, effectively being the magical equivalent of cultural, social and/or linguistic anthropology.
Notes and references
- ↑ The blackboard on the Ancient Studies classroom has an illustration of a pyramid and the world "EGYPT" can be clearly read.
|Core classes||Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes||Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes||Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Ghoul Studies · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|
|First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · |
Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test