- "— the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things… and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."
- —Description of the registry[src]
The Animagus Registry is a Ministry of Magic registry service, under the Improper Use of Magic Office within the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Animagi are required to submit themselves once they acquire the ability to turn into an animal, and failure to do so results in imprisonment in Azkaban.
The registry is available to public view, so as to ensure the registered individuals do not abuse their abilities.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First identified as Animagus Registry)
Notes and references
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Professor McGonagall" at Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 26 (The Second Task)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 18 (Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)