- "There are all sorts of enchantments on it, to stop people entering by stealth. You can't just Apparate in here."
- — Hogwarts is protected by the Anti-Apparition Charm[src]
The Anti-Apparition Charm (incantation unknown) was a charm that prevented people from Apparating into an area. It was cast on Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry long ago and could only be lifted by the Headmaster of the time.
When student transportation to and from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was unregulated, prior to the inception of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy in 1692, some students tried to Apparate into the Castle grounds, often with disastrous results because of this enchantment. The charm will be temporarily lifted in the Great Hall for students who are participating in the Apparition classes.
The Horcrux cave was presumably enchanted with this charm, as Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore were forced to approach it from a distance and overcome Lord Voldemort's enchantments to enter, similarly, one could not Disapparate in order to get out.
Behind the scenes
- Another spell exists, the Anti-Disapparition Jinx, which is a spell of the same kind but prevents people from Disapparating out from an area.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)