The Anti-Apparition Charm (incantation unknown) was a charm that prevented people from Apparating into an area. It was cast on the entire castle and grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry long ago, and could only be lifted by the Headmaster of the time.
When student transportation to and from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was unregulated, prior to the inception of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy in 1692, some students tried to Apparate into the Castle grounds, often with disastrous results because of this enchantment. The charm would be temporarily lifted in the Great Hall for sixth year students who were participating in Apparition classes.
The Horcrux cave was presumably enchanted with this charm, as Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore were forced to approach it from a distance and overcome Lord Voldemort's enchantments to enter, similarly, one could not Disapparate in order to get out.
Behind the scenes
- Another spell exists, the Anti-Disapparition Jinx, which is a spell of the same kind but prevents people from Disapparating out from an area.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only) (First identified as Anti-Apparition Charm)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)