At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Professor Arif Sikander was a wizard who acted as the replacement Muggle Studies professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the 1990–1991 school year, whilst the former teacher Quirinus Quirrell was away on a sabbatical trip in Europe.
Sikander was introuced as Professor Quirrell's replacement as the Muggle Studies Professor at the 1990 Start-of-Term Feast. He introuced himself later to seventh-year students in his first lesson with them in the Muggle Studies Classroom. He taught his seventh-year students about many fascinating Muggle inventions.
During the school year, he had a conversation with Severus Snape about Muggle chemistry in the Potions Classroom, before they were interrupted by Jacob's sibling and Nymphadora Tonks. Snape, however did want to speak to him and rudely rejected his attempts at friendliness, although Sikander was cordial in response. Later on, Jacob's sibling and Corey Hayden approached Sikander in the Muggle Studies Classroom with a cursed CD case they needed destroying with Muggle means to free several people (including Professor Flitwick) of a laughing curse attached to it. He first suggested destroying it by scratching it with their nails like what Muggles would often do, but this was not an option as the CD case spread the curse by touch. He and the students then decided to use a magically-powered microwave in the classroom to destroy it, which worked. He thanked the students for requesting his help and told them to come to him again about any similar issues.
Magical abilities and skills
- Muggle Studies: As a professor of Muggle Studies at Hogwarts, Sikander was highly knowledgeable of Muggles and their ways of living. He could use his knowledge of Muggle artefacts to help solve problems involving them.
- Nonverbal magic: Sikander could cast spells proficiently without saying their incantations aloud; he once turned on a Muggle microwave just by flicking his wand silently.
Behind the scenes
- This character appears to have been modelled after an unnamed background character that made an appearance in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, possibly meaning the two are meant to be the same person, although this is unconfirmed.
- Assuming Professor Sikander was offered the post full-time once it became clear that Quirrell would switch subjects rather than return to it, this would also imply that Sikander was the male Muggle Studies professor mentioned in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- He was most likely of age when he began teaching.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 1 (Year Seven Begins)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 3 (On the Case)
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 28 (The Last Laugh)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 4 (A New Assignment) - Muggle Studies Lesson "Rotary Phone"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 9 (A Beast of a Division) - Muggle Studies Lesson "Rubber Duck"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 10 (The Wampus Cat's Out of the Bag) - Assignment "Transportation Regulation"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 15 (The Counter-Serum) - Muggle Studies Lesson "Hair Spray"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 22 (The Search for Ryu) - Muggle Studies Lesson "Toaster"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 27 (Now That's What I Call A Cursed CD) - Muggle Studies Lesson "Roller Blades"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 35 (The Auror Programme) - Muggle Studies Lesson "Cars"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 4 (A New Assignment)
|Professors: Quirinus Quirrell · Arif Sikander · Unidentified male professor · Charity Burbage · Alecto Carrow · Concordia Rowle|
|Classrooms: Art Classroom · Fifth Floor classroom · Muggle Studies Classroom · Muggle Studies showroom · Music Classroom|
|Textbooks: Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles|
|Subjects: Car (Model car) · Electricity · Hair spray · Light bulb · Muggle transportation · Radio · Roller Skates · Rotary phone · Rubber duck|