At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Oh, it's wonderful! It's my favourite subject!"
- —Hermione Granger in her third year.
Arithmancy is an elective subject offered from the third year on at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as well as at Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. During the 1990s at least, the class was taught by Professor Septima Vector in Classroom 7A, on the Hogwarts castle's seventh floor.
Homework assignments, which included writing essays, required the consultation and/or composition of complicated number charts.
Arithmancy was Hermione Granger's favourite subject at Hogwarts. She once told Harry Potter it was "wonderful" when he remarked that her challenging homework looked "terrible." However, one of her roommates said that, in her opinion, it was difficult, and by far preferred Care of Magical Creatures.
Another subject, Advanced Arithmancy Studies, was taught at Hogwarts, presumably to the most intelligent and brilliant students. It may have been taught by Professor Vector also, and the Advanced Arithmancy Studies classroom was located on the first floor of the Hogwarts Turris Magnus in Hogwarts Castle.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Hermione mentions Arithmancy telling Ron that she passed.
- Hermione also mentions the subject a lot of times in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. She says that she signed up for Arithmancy and constantly refers to it.
- In the GBC versions of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the Arithmancy classroom features a multiplication chart and a blackboard with a simple equation on it.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 12 (The Patronus)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS2 version)
- ↑ 2005 Royal Albert Hall interview with J. K. Rowling
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Careers Advice)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 14: Fool's Gold, Act 3
|Professors: Septima Vector|
|Known Arithmancers: Bridget Wenlock|
|Textbooks: Numerology and Grammatica · New Theory of Numerology|
|Arithmancy at Hogwarts: Arithmancy (class) · Classroom 7A · Advanced Arithmancy Studies|
|Core classes||Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes||Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes||Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Ghoul Studies · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|
|First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · |
Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test