At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Ash (genus Fraxinus) is a type of tree belonging to the genus flowering plants in the olive and lilac family, Oleaceae, known as Fraxinus.
The ash wand clung to its one true master and ought not to be passed on or gifted from the original owner, because it would lose power and skill. This tendency was especially valid if the core was constructed of unicorn hair. Old superstitions regarding wands rarely bore close examination, but it was believed that the old rhyme regarding rowan, chestnut, ash and hazel wands (rowan gossiped, chestnut droned, ash was stubborn, hazel moaned) contained a small nugget of truth. Those witches and wizards best suited to ash wands were not lightly swayed from their beliefs or purposes.
However, the brash or over-confident witch or wizard, who often insisted on trying wands of this prestigious wood, would be disappointed by its effects. The ideal owner might be stubborn, and would certainly be courageous, but never crass or arrogant.
The tree's common English name, "ash", goes back to the Old English æsc, while the generic name originated in Latin. Both words also meant "spear" in their respective languages.
Behind the scenes
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban states the Firebolt's handle to be made of ash. Pottermore, however, retcons this, instead listing its composition as ebony.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Wand Collection