At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Frozen eggs were a common ingredient in potions, particularly love potions. They could also be swallowed whole as an antidote to ague. An Ashwinder egg was essential to the creation of Felix Felicis.
Some enlarged Ashwinder eggs played a large part in the ending of the Hogwarts school pantomime tradition. In the play The Fountain of Fair Fortune, an Ashwinder was supplied by Professor Kettleburn to play the 'blind and bloated' worm. The Ashwinder was enlarged with the use of an Engorgement Charm; however things got out of control, and the Ashwinder laid its eggs. These eggs, presumed to be enlarged like the Ashwinder, set fire to the floorboards in the Great Hall and ended the Hogwarts pantomime tradition.
Professor Severus Snape kept Ashwinder eggs in his personal stores. In the 1989–1990 school year, he was telling Argus Filch and Madam Pince one day that he had awoken to find Ashwiner eggs, Murtlap tentacles and Occamy eggshells missing. Beatrice Haywood stole them (following Ismelda Murk's advice) from Snape in order to brew Felix Felicis in Classroom 3C, along with several books on advanced potion-making from the Hogwarts Library without checking them out.
During the Calamity, which happened across the Wizarding world in the 2010s, wizards and witches who worked as volunteers for the Statute of Secrecy Task Force often collected and used these eggs, as ingredients for various potions brewed to help address the mysterious situation.
Behind the scenes
- The eggs were featured in the mobile version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and can be found on top of the Astronomy Tower. Why they were there is unknown.
- In Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, this ingredient was featured in Beta testing for the game, but it along with other ingredients and potions were cut from the final edit and were not released in the game.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (First appearance) (PSP/NintendoDS/Mobile and website version only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First mentioned)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Cut from edit)
Notes and references
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions - (see video)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 22 (The Exchange Student)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard - "The Fountain of Fair Fortune"
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 82
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite