The Astronomy Tower is the tallest tower at Hogwarts Castle. It is where students study the stars and planets through their telescopes in Astronomy lessons with Professor Aurora Sinistra. This is usually done at midnight where the stars are best seen.
In Harry Potter's first year, he and Hermione Granger climbed to the top of the Astronomy Tower to give Rubeus Hagrid's pet dragon, Norbert, to Charlie Weasley to take care of. Five years later, when the Death Eaters arrived at Hogwarts, most of the Battle of the Astronomy Tower between the opposing sides took place in this tower, and in the corridor below. Albus Dumbledore was blasted from the tower's ramparts by a Killing Curse cast by Severus Snape. This was where he met his death.
Behind the Scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PC version), the Hogwarts Library is inside the Tower, on the lower floors.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC, GBA and PC versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Seen in a trailer)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)