The Astronomy Tower is the tallest tower at Hogwarts Castle. It is where students study the stars and planets through their telescopes in Astronomy lessons with Professor Aurora Sinistra. This is usually done at midnight where the stars are best seen.
When the Fat Lady's portrait, the one that attached in the door entrance to the Gryffindor common room was attacked by a transformed Sirius Black, Gryffindors students couldn't enter. They had to use the Astronomy tower for the room replacement until the door was fixed. Later, Remus Lupin, the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor during that school year used this tower to teach Harry how to perform a Patronus Charm.
The Death Eaters arrived at Hogwarts, most of the Battle of the Astronomy Tower between the opposing sides took place in this tower, and in the corridor below. Albus Dumbledore was blasted from the tower's ramparts by a Killing Curse cast by Severus Snape. This was where he met his death.
Behind the scenes
- In videogame Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (PC version), the Hogwarts Library is inside the Tower, on the lower floors.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC, GBA and PC versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First appearance in the films)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)