At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Astronomy classroom is located on the top-most level of the Astronomy Tower. Accessed via a steep spiral stairway, this room is where Astronomy classes, taught by Aurora Sinistra, and practical examinations are held in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
The classroom is surrounded by crenellated ramparts and iron security railings around the edge of the Tower, where students gaze the skies with their telescopes. Astronomical models and telescopes are propped against the ramparts when the classroom is not in use. A door leads into a turret and the steep spiral stairway inside leads below.
Behind the scenes
- In the film and video game adaptations of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, this classroom is considerably different from its description in the books, and its appearance in Pottermore. The room is covered by a roof supported by stone archways, and does not offer a complete view of the sky. There is a large armillary sphere and replica of the Earth on the centre of the room. Small decorative stone cherubs carrying celestial bodies and peering through telescopes are perched on the walls. Some glass cabinets located by the door are filled with astronomical devices and celestial models. A short flight of stairs leads to a smaller observatory where a fixed telescope is in place.
- The classroom is very similar in appearance to that of the topmost level of the Dark Tower seen in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film).
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 14 (Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 27 (The Lightning-Struck Tower)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) - Chapter 25
|Professors: Aurora Sinistra|
|Astronomy at Hogwarts: Astronomy department · Astronomy Tower · Astronomy Room · Astronomy Stairs · Astronomy Corridor · Astronomy reading room · |
|Astronomers: Aurora Sinistra · Copernicus · George von Rheticus · Perpetua Fancourt · Hesper Starkey|
|Objects: Globe of the Moon · Lunascope · Moon chart · Orrery · Star chart · Telescope|
|Planets: Jupiter · Mars · Mercury · Neptune · Pluto · Saturn · Uranus · Venus|
|Satellites: Callisto · Europa · Ganymede · Io · Moon|
|Constellations: Bartholomeus · Orion|