Avery I (born c. 1920s) was a pure-blood or half-blood wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Slytherin House. He was a member of Tom Riddle's gang when they attended Hogwarts, and was a member of the Slug Club.
Avery attended Hogwarts at the same time as Tom Riddle, and was sorted into Slytherin House. He became a member of Riddle's gang, and was a favourite student of Horace Slughorn. Avery was present at the same Slug Club meeting in 1944 or 1945 as Tom Riddle and was reprimanded by the Potions Master for failing to hand in a particular essay.
Avery is an English surname derived from an Old French version of the name Alfred. The meaning of the name is derived from the Old English words aelf, meaning elf, and raed, meaning counsel.
Behind the scenes
- Another Death Eater named Avery attended Hogwarts at the same time as Severus Snape. Given the timeline it is possible that they are father and son.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ If Avery was at Hogwarts in 1943, with Tom Riddle, he must have been born in between the gap of 1926 (at the time he would be 17) and 1932 (where he would be 11).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Pottermore - The Sacred Twenty-Eight Pure-blood directory includes the Avery family. As this Avery was born before 1930, he would have likely been factored in and could not have been a Muggle or Muggle-born
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- ↑ A guide to Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters at Pottermore
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 17 (A Sluggish Memory)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 23 (Horcruxes)