Bangs-and-smells magic is the common term for magic that is garish but not necessarily effective. When the use of magic results in these lurid after-effects (such as loud bangs, bright flashes, smoke, or odours), they are often seen as mark of incompetent spellwork.
During his first year at Hogwarts, Seamus Finnigan was notable for often evoking of this type of magic. However, during his later years at Hogwarts, he further refined his penchant for the combustible, becoming proficient in pyrotechnics.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Indirectly mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First identified as Bangs-and-smells magic)
- Wizarding World