The Banshee (Old Irish spelling ben síde) is a Dark creature native to Ireland. Banshees are malevolent spirits that have the appearance of women and their cries are fatal to anyone that hears them. The Laughing Potion is effective defence against them.
The Bandon Banshee was supposedly defeated by Gilderoy Lockhart, which he described in his book Break with a Banshee; though he later admitted to stealing credit for his books. The only thing known about the actual witch who defeated the Bandon Banshee was that she had a hairy chin.
The singer Celestina Warbeck is known to perform with a backing group of banshees, demonstrating not all Banshees are malevolent. Another possible banshee was the Bogle-banshee, mentioned by a student on the "Second Year Essential Knowledge Test" that Gilderoy Lockhart gave his second year Defence Against the Dark Arts class in 1992.
Biology and description
Banshees have the appearance of a woman with floor length black hair, a skeletal face, and green skin. A banshee's scream is fatal to the ears, in a manner similar to fully grown Mandrakes.
Behind the scenes
- The Banshee is a female spirit in Irish folklore and mythology, who appears to herald the death of a family member, usually by wailing, shrieking or keening. They generally believed to be fairies or ghosts.
- Mrs Mason "screamed like a banshee" when the owl post letter warning Harry Potter about his supposed Underage magic transgression (actually committed by Dobby) was dropped on her head.
- Due to their similarities, it is possible that Banshees are related to Dementors, and may like them be considered amortal.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Seen as boggart)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Seen as boggart)
Notes and references
- ↑ Zygmunt Budge described the banshee as a spirit in Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 6 (Gilderoy Lockhart)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 16 (The Chamber of Secrets)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 7 (The Boggart in the Wardrobe)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 21 (The House-Elf Liberation Front)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Celestina Warbeck" at Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey, p. 74 (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 2 (Dobby's Warning)