While studying at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Cuffe must have either been a very good student, or possibly come from money, power, or has good stories to tell, as Horace Slughorn chose Barnabas to join his Slug Club. As a child, he was very interested in the news, and enjoyed Slughorn's exaggerated outakes on the Daily Prophet. He maintained a good relationship with Slughorn as he stated that Cuffe was always ready to take his owl on the day's news. He also enjoyed receiving vibes as a means of communication.
Aside from being the paper's editor, Cuffe occasionally wrote articles for the Prophet. One such article, entitled "The Wizarding World in Mourning", covered the then-recent death of Albus Dumbledore.
The name "Barnabas" is the Greek form of an Aramaic name. In Acts in the New Testament the byname Barnabas was given to a man named Joseph, a companion of Paul on his missionary journeys. The original Aramaic is unattested, but it may be from בּר נביא (bar naviya') meaning "son of the prophet", though in Acts 4:36 it is claimed that the name means "son of encouragement". As an English name, it came into occasional use after the 12th century.
Behind the scenes
- Barnabas Cuffe was portrayed by Roger C. Bailey in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- It is possible, as he was a former Slug Club member, that he attended the Christmas party.
- In the original script from the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince his first name is misspelled Barnubas.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance) (Appears in photograph)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears in photograph)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Horace Slughorn became Potions Master in 1931. Slughorn resigned from his teaching position in 1981, meaning Cuffe would have been a member of the Slug Club by at least then.
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 4 (Horace Slughorn)
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Daily Prophet" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter Limited Edition (see this image)
- Casting Call Pro profile
- Half-Blood Prince script on the Internet Movie Script Database (archived here)
|Evening Prophet · Sunday Prophet|
|List of articles|
|Editor-in-chief: Barnabas Cuffe|
Security Editor: R. Amorim
Reporters: A. Fenetre · Andy Smudgley · Betty Braithwaite · Chief sports writer · E. Limaria · E. Limus · Emma Squiggle · L. Limuria · Miras Phlaras · M. Amerinus · M. Carneirus · R. Almeidas · Rita Skeeter · Talbott Winger's father
Columnists: D. Shaman · E. Limus · Dempster Wiggleswade · Helbert Spleen · Grizel Hurtz · Limunus · Dr. Medusa · Winkus Oddpick · Zamira Gulch
Correspondents: Ginny Potter · Rita Skeeter
Photographers: Adrian · Bozo
Newspaper vendors: Paper-owls · Ministry of Magic newspaper vendor
Chief Consulting Magizoologist: Rolf Scamander