At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- "I've performed tests on the potion sample you collected. My best guess is that it was supposed to be Baruffio's Brain Elixir. Now, that's a potion which doesn't work at the best of times, but whoever brewed this was seriously incompetent! Forget boosting one's brain; this concoction would most likely melt it!"
- —Gethsemane Prickle, after analysing an attempt at Baruffio's Brain Elixir whipped up by Astor Bellchant[src]
Baruffio's Brain Elixir is a potion that supposedly increases the taker's brain power. According to Gethsemane Prickle, Ministry of Magic Herbologist and Potioneer, Baruffio's Brain Elixir does not work at all and poses a serious health hazard if improperly brewed.
In 1996, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley were offered some by Eddie Carmichael, who swore it was responsible for his achievement of nine "O"s in his Ordinary Wizarding Levels the previous year. Before they could buy it from him, Hermione Granger, a Prefect at the time, confiscated it and poured it down the toilet.
After receiving a letter from Hogwarts School informing him that his son Albert was failing Transfiguration, Charms, and Herbology, Astor Bellchant blackmailed Bilius Finbok, with whom he had attended Hogwarts, into brewing an illegal mental acuity potion. When Finbok was badly hurt while handing a Runespoor which eggs he intended to use for the potion, Bellchant tried to use Finbok's potions lab to brew it himself; his attempt at brewing the potion was duly confiscated by Ministry investigators Mathilda Grimblehawk and her partner, and expert potioneer Gethsemane Prickle labelled it a "seriously incompetent" brew, likely to melt the brain of whoever would take it.
Behind the scenes
- Baruffio's Brain Elixir is featured as an item in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite where, contrary to what is said of the potion elsewhere, it is implied to work: it grants the player extra Wizarding XP from each Trace and Portkey completed.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 5: Trouble Brewing, Act 4
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 5: Trouble Brewing, Act 3