Magical abilities and skills
- Study of Ancient Runes: Being the Professor of Study of Ancient Runes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor Babbling was an expert in the magical study of Runology, being capable of understanding and translating ancient runes, symbols and alphabets, and her knowledge was sophisticated and wide enough that she taught this subject to students.
- "Babble" is an English word meaning "a foolish character" or "the sound of murmuring water". Perhaps more to the point, "to babble" in modern vernacular use describes the act of speaking very fast, often in an obscure jargon (as in the phrase "technobabble") — which is fitting for the cryptic language that are the Ancient Runes taught by Babbling.
- The similar name of "Bathsheba" is the name of the biblical wife of David and mother to Solomon.
Behind the scenes
- Professor Babbling's name only appeared on a list of the Hogwarts professors which was released on J. K. Rowling's website.
- Rowling may originally have intended a male teacher to teach this subject.
- The Unidentified female Hogwarts teacher may be Bathsheda Babbling, although this is unconfirmed.
- J. K. Rowling's official site (First mentioned)
Notes and references
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.