Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
Magical abilities and skills
- Study of Ancient Runes: Being the Professor of Study of Ancient Runes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor Babbling was an expert in the magical study of Runology, being capable of understanding and translating ancient runes, symbols and alphabets, and her knowledge was sophisticated and wide enough that she taught this subject to students.
- "Babble" is an English word meaning "a foolish character" or "the sound of murmuring water". Perhaps more to the point, "to babble" in modern vernacular use describes the act of speaking very fast, often in an obscure jargon (as in the phrase "technobabble") — which is fitting for the cryptic language that are the Ancient Runes taught by Babbling.
- The similar name of "Bathsheba" is the name of the biblical wife of David and mother to Solomon.
Behind the scenes
- Professor Babbling's name only appeared on a list of the Hogwarts professors which was released on J. K. Rowling's website.
- Rowling may originally have intended a male teacher to teach this subject.
- J. K. Rowling's official site (First mentioned)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- As Bathsheda was employed at Hogwarts by 1993, she must have been of age (17) by then.
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- HP Lexicon's transcript of JKR's notes
|Study of Ancient Runes|
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|