The Bean Bonus Room (also known as the Bonus Bean Room) was a room in Hogwarts where students could visit to collect Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and treats, usually acting under a time limit.
1992–1993 school year
Houses competed periodically throughout the 1992–1993 school year to allow one of their students into the room, which was full of beans which the student had to collect. Dumbledore tallied the House points in the House Point Ceremony Chamber. If Gryffindor won the tally, then Harry Potter could enter the Bean Room. However if Slytherin won, Draco Malfoy would get the honours. Students could access more parts of the Bean Bonus Room as they learned more spells throughout the school year. There would be a timer, but more house points the winner had would mean more time.
1993–1994 school year
In the 1993–1994 school year, the Bean Bonus Room's location and layout were changed. It was located in the side chamber off the Entrance Hall and now included Cauldron Cakes and Pumpkin Pasties. Some of the school's suits of armour held sweets inside.
Behind the scenes
- Remus Lupin: "Well done, Ron! And... you found all ten Challenge Shields! Which means... you get to visit the Bean Bonus Room."
- Ronald Weasley: "Wow! This is the Bean Bonus Room?"
- Remus Lupin: "That's right, Ron. Collect as many goodies as you can before the time runs out."
- — Remus Lupin to Ronald Weasley[src]
- Minerva McGonagall: "Nicely done, Miss Granger! You've completed the challenge. You've collected all ten Challenge Shields, which means..."
- Hermione Granger: "I get to go to the Bean Bonus Room! Fantastic! Wow! This is the Bean Bonus Room?"
- Minerva McGonagall: "Correct, Hermione. Collect as many goodies as you can before the time runs out."
- — Minerva McGonagall to Hermione Granger[src]
- Filius Flitwick: "Excellent job, Harry. You've completed the Glacius challenge! Not only that...you managed to get all ten Challenge Shields! You know what that means!"
- Harry Potter: "The Bean Bonus Room!"
- Filius Flitwick: "Have fun, Harry!"
- Harry Potter: "Wow! This is the Bean Bonus Room?"
- Filius Flitwick: "That's right, Harry. Collect as many goodies as you can before the time runs out."
- — Filius Flitwick to Harry Potter[src]
- While the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone has no "Bean Bonus Room", Harry can collect lots of beans when in troll chase, so the corridor to girl's bathroom is like a bean bonus corridor.
- The Bean Bonus Room only appears in the video game adaptations of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the PC. In the Prisoner of Azkaban PC game, the player must collect all ten Challenge Shields in all three spell challenges in the game (Carpe Retractum challenge in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Draconifors-Lapifors Challenge in Transfiguration and the Glacius challenge in Charms) in order to access this room. The room can also be accessed again once the player has collected all the main Chocolate Frog Cards in the game, in which Fred and George Weasley grant them access to the room. In this entry, the player can collect five final cards for Albus Dumbledore and the four Hogwarts founders (Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin).
- The Bean Bonus Room is analogous to the Bean Challenge rooms in the GBA version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, where there is no time limit and the goal is to collect all beans in each room.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance) (PC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (PC version only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - PC version
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) - PC version