At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "At least it's only temporary. Imagine spending your life attracting hordes of pouring admirers. Ugh! A repellent thought!"
- —Zygmunt Budge on the Beautification Potion[src]
A Beautification Potion is a potion that transforms the appearance of the drinker, making them seem to be attractive, even if they are not.
In the 1500s, potioneer Zygmunt Budge developed his own recipe, which he had to test on himself (for it had the limitation of only working on humans or creatures of human-like appearance). His artificial good-looks attracted the attention of Muggle women, who started to circle the desert island in which he lived on small boats, calling things like "cooee!" and "give us a kiss, handsome!". Budge stopped taking the potion forthwith, and frightened the women away by coming up to the shore in his right appearance, wearing nothing but his favourite loincloth.
- Grind the wings of three fairies and add to cauldron.
- Stir slowly, and then add morning dew.
- Stir vigorously, then heat the mixture.
- Find a single fresh rose. Pluck seven petals and add to cauldron.
- Chop the dried Lady's Mantle and add to cauldron, then stir.
- Add a lock of unicorn hair and stir vigorously.
- Add powdered ginger root and then heat.
- Lastly, wave your wand over the cauldron to finish the potion.
The beautification potion enhances the attractiveness of the drinker's physical appearance. The potion removes all physical imperfections (i.e. warts, moles, scars, blemish, freckles, unwanted hair, etc). The drinker's teeth whiten and become perfect, muscle mass is enhanced and perfected, their voice becomes more alluring, melodic, and seductive, and their bodily scent becomes extremely pleasant and compelling. The potion grants the drinker a perfect body, with smooth, flawless skin, silky hair, golden-proportioned figure, and "well-endowments" (varies depending upon sex). The drinker ends up possessing a level of grace, sense of style, and social poise above that commonly found. This is the level of beauty of a storybook princess, or handsomeness of fairy-tale Prince Charming. The drinker radiates an aura of attractiveness, naturally inducing pleasure and desire in others while subtly lifting inhibitions. Others feel a pull towards the drinker, even if they cannot justify it, and feel immediately bonded. The affected targets remain fully themselves, but they long for the user's favour and affection, and cannot bring themselves to cause them harm except as a last resort, like an irreplaceable treasure too precious to be lost. The drinker also ends up with unnaturally high charisma, or charm, enabling them to gain the trust and loyalty of others and win them over, making it no longer a matter of popularity or skill, but a blessing (or a curse, depending on how you look at it).
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery