- Fred Weasley: "...before he went loopy he was the life and soul of the party. He used to down an entire bottle of firewhisky, then run on to the dance floor, hoist up his robes and start pulling bunches of flowers out of his –"
- Hermione Granger: "Yes, he sounds a real charmer."
- — Fred Weasley on his uncle Bilius[src]
Bilius (surname Weasley or Prewett) was a pure-blood wizard and a brother of either Arthur Weasley or Molly Weasley née Prewett. A lifelong bachelor, he was fun-loving and lively, but was prone to eccentric behaviour. He reportedly died twenty-four hours after seeing a Grim.
Bilius never married and presumably had no children. According to his nephews, Fred and George Weasley, he was always a joker, and was fun to have at weddings and parties. On more than one occasion, he was said to have consumed an entire bottle of firewhisky and then run to the dance floor, where he lifted his robes and began to pull bouquets of flowers out of an alarming part of his body.
"Bilious" is the adjective for 'bile,' a yellowish-green secretion of the liver. The word "bilious" goes back to the old belief that there were four bodily humours (black bile, yellow bile, phlegm, and blood) and these four humours determined a person's temperament. "Bilious" was the personality type associated with an excess of yellow bile, and indicates a peevish, ill-natured disposition.
Behind the scenes
- It is often presumed that Bilius was Arthur Weasley's brother, as J. K. Rowling revealed that Arthur was "one of three brothers," but did not give the names of the other two brothers. However, it is still possible that Bilius was a brother of Molly Weasley née Prewett, as although Rowling has confirmed that Fabian and Gideon Prewett were Molly's brothers, she has not stated that they were Molly's only brothers.
- Bilius seemed prone to outrageous behaviour, and is hinted to have been an alcoholic.
- If Bilius was the brother of Molly, then he would distantly link to the House of Black, for Molly's aunt by marriage is Lucretia Prewett née Black. If he was the brother of Arthur, he would be closer, as his possible (and Arthur's) mother would be Cedrella Weasley née Black.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Fred and George know of his death, as does Ron, meaning that he died some time after Ron, at least, was born and was deceased by 1993 for Ron, Fred and George to tell the story.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 8 (The Wedding)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 6 (Talons and Tea Leaves)
- ↑ MedicineNet.com
- ↑ Weasley family trivia on J.K. Rowling Official Site
- ↑ Gideon and Fabian Prewett on J.K. Rowling Official Site