At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Billywig is a magical insect native to Australia. It is rated XXX, and is around half an inch long and is of a vivid sapphire blue colour. The speed of the Billywig means that it is rarely noticed by Muggles, and wizards and witches only spot it once they have been stung.
The Billywig's wings are attached to the top of its head, and the wings rotate extremely fast, spinning the Billywig so that it can fly. Xenophilius Lovegood used Billywig wings for his recreation of Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem because he believed they "induce an elevated frame of mind".
The Billywig also has a long, thin stinger at the bottom of its body. Anyone stung by a Billywig will suffer giddiness, followed by levitation, and this is what gives the Billywig its rating of XXX. This is also why young Australian wizards and witches try to catch Billywigs and provoke them into stinging them. Too many stings, however, can cause the victim to hover uncontrollably for days on end. Sometimes, the victim will suffer from a severe allergic reaction, and permanent floating may ensue.
Behind the scenes
- In the fifty-second edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, in response to the entry about their usage as ingredients in Fizzing Whizzbees, Harry Potter or Ron Weasley wrote in the page's margin, "last time I eat them".
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|