At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
The Billywig was a magical insect native to Australia. It was rated XXX, and was around half an inch long and of a vivid sapphire blue colour. The speed of the Billywig may be why it was rarely noticed by Muggles, and wizards and witches often only spotted it once they had been stung.
The Billywig's wings were attached to the top of its head rotated extremely fast, spinning the Billywig so that it could fly. Xenophilius Lovegood used Billywig wings for his recreation of Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem because he believed they "induce an elevated frame of mind".
The Billywig also had a long, thin stinger at the bottom of its body. Anyone stung by a Billywig would suffer giddiness, followed by levitation, which is what gave the Billywig its rating of XXX. This was also why young Australian wizards and witches tried to catch Billywigs and provoke them into stinging them. Too many stings, however, could cause the victim to hover uncontrollably for days on end. Sometimes, the victim would suffer from a severe allergic reaction, and permanent floating may have ensued.
Behind the scenes
- In the fifty-second edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, in response to the entry about their usage as ingredients in Fizzing Whizzbees, Harry Potter or Ron Weasley wrote in the page's margin, "last time I eat them".
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (PS1 version only) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|