At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Most of the class had already left, although several twittering yellow birds were still zooming around the room, all of Hermione's creation; nobody else had succeeded in conjuring so much as a feather from thin air."
- — The difficulty of conjuring birds[src]
The Bird-Conjuring Charm (Avis) was a charm that conjured a flock of birds. Out of all of the spells used to conjure living things, The Bird-Conjuring Charm was the among the easiest, alongside the Snake Summons Spell.
- "Severed heads, unidentifiable stumps, terrifying frog-rabbit mutations — all have been created, to the dismay of those who made them..."
- — Side-effects of the spell[src]
This was one of the spells that sixth-year Transfiguration students were learning to perform non-verbally in 1996. Hermione Granger also conjured a flock of birds that same year using this spell, and made them attack Ron Weasley, after seeing him kiss Lavender Brown.
The Latin words avis or aves, meaning "bird".
Behind the scenes
- This spell may be capable of blocking the Killing Curse; if the curse hit the birds before the caster, it is possible that this would negate the curse. Since conjured creatures differ from real animals, this is not conclusive. If it is true, then such spells as the Snake Summons Spell might also prove effective. Nonetheless, no canon evidence has been given in favour or denial of this theory.
- It is unknown why this spell is classified as a charm, as conjuration is mainly a form of magic taught in Transfiguration class, and has been emphasised to be different from charm-work.
- In LEGO Dimensions, Hermione Granger uses Avis as one of her finishing moves in combat.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (First identified as Bird-Conjuring Charm)
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)
- "Wonderbook: Book of Spells - Birds and Pumpkins Floor Demo" from GameSpot Gameplay
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 9 (Artefact Check) - Transfiguration Lesson "Avis"
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 14 (Felix Felicis)
- LEGO Dimensions