At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Astoria Malfoy suffered from a "serious" blood malediction, as a result of curse placed on one of her ancestors, which resurfaced in her after many generations. The condition left her frail, and thus she had only one child, Scorpius. Childbirth was noted to have been risky to her health due to the malediction, as Draco tried to dissuade her from it to preserve her health. It likely contributed to her early death in 2019.
Behind the scenes
- As Nagini was a Maledictus that suffered from a blood curse which would ultimately destine her to transform permanently into a beast, her condition would likely be considered a blood malediction.
- Blood malediction may be quite similar to leukaemia where the blood cell development process is interrupted by uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. The abnormal cells stop the blood performing important functions such as fighting disease.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald