|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
This snake was bred in captivity sometime before 1991 when it was on display. This changed in June 1991. After Dudley saw the snake and became uninterested, the snake came in contact with Harry Potter, a Parselmouth, who spoke to it. During the course of their conversation, he accidentally vanished the glass in front of its enclosure. The snake slithered free, leading Dudley to think it was after him. The freed boa briefly thanked Harry and told him that it was going to Brazil, the native range of its species. From there, the snake calmly slithered out of the reptile house. It is unknown if it eventually made it to Brazil or that it was possibly re-captured and put back into captivity.
Personality and traits
Lonely and bored, the snake found it highly annoying to have zoo visitors tap on the tank's glass front every day. He had also always dreamed of living in Brazil. He also had a rather playful side, as he made a point of snapping at the heels of panicking Muggles as he left his former prison but without intent to hurt them.
Interestingly, the snake seemed to be capable of reading; when Harry asked if it missed its family in Brazil, it pointed to a sign which read "RAISED IN CAPTIVITY".
Behind the scenes
- In both the book and in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the snake winks at Harry. In real life, snakes are unable to wink, as they have no eyelids.
- In the film, the boa constrictor was replaced by a Burmese python.
- The boa constrictor was rumoured to actually be Nagini. This has since been proven false, as Nagini is female, while the Snake at the Zoo was male, and has now been confirmed by J.K Rowling on Twitter.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game