- "The spell that defeats a Boggart can be tricky, because it involves making the creature into a figure of fun, so that fear can be dispelled in amusement. If the caster is able to laugh aloud at the Boggart, it will disappear at once. The incantation is ‘Riddikulus’, and the intention is to force the Boggart to assume a less-threatening and hopefully comical form."
The Boggart-Banishing Spell (Riddikulus) is a charm that is used to defeat a Boggart. It causes the creature to assume a form that is humorous to the caster, along with a whip-crack noise, thereby taking away the Boggart's ability to terrorise.
Boggarts are defeated by laughter, so forcing them to assume an amusing form is the first step to defeating them. However, because Boggarts are amortal, this spell does not truly destroy them, similar to the Patronus Charm, but merely "banish" them — meaning the defeated Boggart vanish, and presumably re-materialise elsewhere.
In 1993, Professor Remus Lupin taught this spell to his third year Defence Against the Dark Arts class in. Thanks to Lupin's teaching, Harry Potter was able to use this against a Boggart in the Triwizard Maze in 1995.
|Unidentified Hufflepuff girl||Between 1908 and 1914||The student cast the spell on a boggart during a class taught by Albus Dumbledore immediately before fellow Hufflepuff Newt Scamander.|
|Newt Scamander||In a Defence Against the Dark Arts class taught by Albus Dumbledore, Newt successfully cast the spell against a Boggart.|
|Pomona Sprout||1986–1987 school year||Used it to banish a boggart in the Hogwarts greenhouses, after it manifested as a Werewolf for Penny Haywood.|
|Filius Flitwick||Taught it to students during the school year to help them face the boggarts unleashed from the Vault of Fear.|
|Tulip Karasu||Used it to banish a boggart in the form of Merula Snyde.|
|Jacob's sibling||Used it to banish a boggart in the form of Lord Voldemort, in the Vault of Fear.|
|Neville Longbottom||September 1993||Used it to defeat a boggart in the form of Severus Snape, during a Defence Against the Dark Arts with Professor Remus Lupin.|
|Ronald Weasley||Used it to defeat a boggart in the form of a giant spider, by removing its legs.|
|Seamus Finnigan||Used it to defeat a boggart in the form of a Banshee, by silencing its voice.|
|Dean Thomas||Used it to defeat a boggart in the form of a Loose Hand, by trapping it in a mouse trap.|
|Parvati Patil||Used it to defeat a boggart in the form of a Mummy, by unravelling its sheets.|
|Remus Lupin||Used it to defeat a boggart in the form of a full moon, by turning it into a Cockroach.|
|Third years||June 1994||The third year Defence Against the Dark Arts exam was an obstacle course of dark creatures which included; climbing into an old trunk and battling a boggart.|
|Harry Potter||24 June, 1995||Harry used this against a boggart in the maze during the Triwizard Tournament.|
|June 1996||Harry cast the spell "perfectly" during the practical part of his Defence Against the Dark Arts O.W.L.|
|Molly Weasley||August 1995||Molly tried and failed to use this spell against the boggart at 12 Grimmauld Place.|
|Alastor Moody||Used this spell to deal with the Boggart at 12 Grimmauld Place, after when Molly Weasley failed to.|
"Riddikulus" is an adaptation of "ridiculous" as well as of ridiculum (Latin, "joke") and ridere (Latin, "to laugh").
Behind the scenes
- Despite the spell canonically producing no light, the July 2018 trailer for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald shows a brief flash of white light upon the incantation being spoken, both times the spell is cast.
- The effect of the Boggart-Banishing Spell varies throughout the series. In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, it has its stated effect of forcing a Boggart into an amusing form and otherwise does not harm it. In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, however, Harry uses the spell to make a Boggart-Dementor explode into a wisp of smoke (though it is possible he found a Dementor collapsing into wisps of smoke "funny", and the Boggart was forced to take the form of an exploded Dementor, more than it actually exploded in earnest). Various anecdotes on Pottermore describe Riddikulus transforming Boggarts in a variety of ways, not all of which being directly related to making the Boggart funny.
- The wand movement given for the Boggart-Banishing Spell resembles a large grin, likely on purpose.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, only Ron and Hermione learn this spell due to Harry being locked out of the class by Draco Malfoy while Lupin is teaching it to his class. Harry instead learns Expecto Patronum from Lupin to defeat his Dementor boggart, and in return Ron and Hermione do not learn Expecto Patronum.
- In LEGO Dimensions, Riddikulus is one of Hermione's abilities, though it does nothing more than break nearby objects and damage nearby enemies.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 7 (The Boggart in the Wardrobe)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Pottermore
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay, Scene 69
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 16 (Professor Trelawney's Prediction)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 (The Woes of Mrs Weasley)
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- ↑ LEGO Dimensions