- Fred Weasley: "And what's happened to your eye, Hermione?"
- Hermione Granger: "Your punching telescope."
- Fred Weasley: "Oh, blimey, I forgot about those. Here... Just dab it on, that bruise'll be gone within the hour. We had to find a decent bruise remover. We're testing most of our products on ourselves."
- — Discussion of the boxing telescope[src]
Boxing telescopes were magical joke products manufactured by Fred and George Weasley in 1996 for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. When held up to the eye, a small fist would extend and punch the individual in the face.
When it was squeezed, a tiny fist on a spring erupted from its end and landed a punch, accompanied by a puff of black smoke and a loud bang. The purple bruise caused by the telescope did not fade by itself, and could not be healed with standard remedies such as could be found in The Healer's Helpmate.
Fed and George stored boxing telescopes among the products in their old bedroom. When Hermione Granger went rummaging in their boxes she accidentally activated one which gave her a black eye that Molly Weasley was unable to remove.
When Hermione, Harry Potter, and the Weasleys went to Diagon Alley shortly afterwards, Draco Malfoy noticed Hermione's black eye and said he wanted to buy flowers for whoever did it. The group then went to the twins' joke shop, where Fred gave Hermione a thick yellow paste, which removed the bruise within an hour.
Behind the scenes
- On the DVD 2nd-disc special feature of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Oliver Phelps (George) demonstrated how activate the boxing telescope prop. Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) also tried it and almost punched himself in the face, commenting "that was millimetres away".
- At The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you can purchase boxing telescopes.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appeared on DVD 2nd-disc Special Feature)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 5 (An Excess of Phlegm)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) DVD 2nd-disc special feature: Close-Up with the cast of Harry Potter - Special Effects with Matthew Lewis, Tom Felton and Oliver Phelps.