- Fred Weasley: "And what's happened to your eye, Hermione?"
- Hermione Granger: "Your punching telescope."
- Fred Weasley: "Oh, blimey, I forgot about those. Here... Just dab it on, that bruise'll be gone within the hour. We had to find a decent bruise remover. We're testing most of our products on ourselves."
- — Discussion of the Boxing telescope[src]
When it is squeezed, a tiny fist on a spring erupts from its end and lands a punch, accompanied by a puff of black smoke and a loud bang. The purple bruise caused by the telescope does not fade by itself, and cannot be healed with standard remedies such as can be found in The Healer's Helpmate.
Boxing telescopes was kept in their old bedroom, but Hermione Granger went rummaging in their boxes and accidentally activated it. It gave her a black eye that Molly Weasley was unable to remove.
When Hermione, Harry Potter, and the Weasleys went to Diagon Alley shortly afterwards, Draco Malfoy noticed Hermione's black eye and said he wanted to buy flowers for whoever did it. The group then went to the twins' joke shop, where Fred gave Hermione a thick yellow paste, which removed the bruise within an hour.
Behind the scenes
- On the DVD 2nd-disc special feature of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Oliver Phelps demonstrate how to function this boxing telescope. Tom Felton also tried it and almost punched himself in the face, he commented "that was millimetres away".
- At The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you can purchase boxing telescopes.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appeared on DVD 2nd-disc Special Feature)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 5 (An Excess of Phlegm)
- ↑ Half-Blood Prince, Ch. 6
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) DVD 2nd-disc special feature: Close-Up with the cast of Harry Potter - Special Effects with Matthew Lewis, Tom Felton and Oliver Phelps.