At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "The Bubble-Head Charm is used to allow a person to breathe underwater. An enormous bubble appears around the head of the person casting the spell, which makes their features look oddly wide and stretched."
- — Description[src]
The Bubble-Head Charm (incantation unknown) was a charm that produced a bubble around the head of the caster, giving them a continuous supply of oxygen, allowing them to breathe where they could not otherwise.
The charm causes a protective bubble to form about the caster's head, described to look like upside-down fish bowls; this bubble may allow for underwater exploration or to avoid nasty smells, although wizards with bad breath have reported problems after the first thirty minutes.
|Jacob's sibling||1990||Used to go under the Great Lake and break into the Sunken Vault.|
|Cedric Diggory||24 February, 1995||Used during the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament to enable them to breathe underwater.|
|Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry students||1996||Students also used this spell after the departure of Fred and George Weasley, when it became fashion to throw Dungbombs and Stink Pellets in the corridors of Hogwarts.|
Behind the scenes
- In the films, the charm creates a bubble around the mouth and nose, similar to an oxygen mask, not the entire head.
- It's unclear why Harry Potter was unable to find information on this spell while researching for the second task. It is possible that the spell was a relatively new invention not covered in many books as of 1995, or that the spell was not commonly used for breathing underwater, but for other purposes. It was also said that Harry searched for a spell "that would allow human to survive without oxygen", rather than for some form of oxygen supply.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 26 (The Second Task)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this video)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 12 (Now You See Me) - Charms Lesson "Bubble-Head Charm"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 42 (The Final Vault)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 30 (Grawp)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 36 (Search for the Mole)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 41 (Assemble the Team)