Bulstrode was the surname of a wizarding family. They were predominantly pure-blood, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight though Millicent Bulstrode was a half-blood, suggesting that one or multiple members of the Bulstrode family had Muggle or Muggle-born spouses, parents, or grandparents. They were distantly related to the Blacks, the Flints, the Crabbes and the Potters. Given that Millicent Bulstrode was a half-blood, the Bulstrode family could be another family who accepted half-bloods into their family, like the Malfoys, with whom they are also distantly related, and thus wouldn't themselves practise inbreeding with cousins.
- Violetta Black née Bulstrode — wife of Cygnus Black II and mother of Pollux, Marius, and Dorea Potter née Black.
- Millicent Bulstrode — a Slytherin student in Harry Potter's year at Hogwarts.
Bulstrode is an extremely rare surname in the United Kingdom. Its origin is uncertain, but it may be derived from a place name meaning either "fortress on the marsh" (from Old English burh, "fortress", and strod, "marsh"), "bull marsh" (from Old English bula, "bull", and strod), or "Bur's marsh" (form Bur, the name of a family, and strod). Bulstrode Park is a large park to the northwest of the Buckinghamshire town of Gerrard's Cross in the English Home Counties. Bulstrode is a grumpy, anthropomorphic barge in the Railway Series books, on which the television show Thomas and Friends is based.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tree tapestry)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter and Me (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Writing by J. K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and Me
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) - Black Family Tapestry
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 7 (The Sorting Hat)
- Violetta Bulstrode married Cygnus Black II, who lived in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Given that family's attitudes and that her descendants are pure-bloods, Violetta was thus a pure-blood as well.
- Black family tree
- "Bulstrode" from the Guild of One-Name Studies
- "Boulstridge on The Internet Surname Database
- The Akashic Record