At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- "This Calamity is, well, quite calamitous. Everything that anyone has ever feared, revered, or held dear in the wizarding world — people, things, even memories — have been stolen and displaced, tossed about across the world. We've got to return what is lost, and quickly. The Statute of Secrecy is in danger of being broken."
- —Constance Pickering[src]
The term "The Calamity" is used to refer to a series of large-scale breaches of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy that took place in the 2010s, wherein a "confounding" piece of chaotic magic cut through all of time, space and memory, causing artefacts, creatures, people, and even memories to mysteriously appear in the Muggle world. In response to the situation, the British Ministry of Magic and the International Confederation of Wizards set up the special Statute of Secrecy Task Force to investigate and contain the threat and prevent outbreaks of magic from being noticed by Muggles. At some point, a notable member of said task force by the name of Constance Pickering began to suspect a wizard called Grim Fawley of having caused the Calamity to occur by casting a spell, although she did not know exactly what the nature of this spell was.
Behind the scenes
- Players in the augmented reality game Harry Potter: Wizards Unite take on the role of members of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force as they try to contain the Calamity.
- According to Warner Bros. Games’ Jonathan Knight, the Calamity occurred, from a game-developing point of view, so that "the event snatched these things and people from all throughout history and the world, laying them down willy-nilly — so you're just as likely to find Fleur Delacoeur [sic] as Hermione Granger, or a young Dumbledore as an old one", meaning that any character that seems out of place, like a young Harry in a Quidditch robe or Death Eaters, were presumably ripped from their own time and somehow sent to the future, becoming a "Foundable".
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (First appearance)