At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
- "Can I tell you a secret? I am quite proud of the Registry. I was part of the Ministry team that put it together. We’ve managed to categorise everything that is lost in one place. It’s quite something. I love organising and organisation. I don’t know about you, but I love marking progress. Ms. Granger and I designed the Registry as a sort of Calamity to-do list."
- — Constance Pickering regarding the organisation's activities[src]
The Calamity Management Team was a research committee at the British Ministry of Magic set up in response to the outbreak of the confounding piece of chaotic magic known as the Calamity, which tore through the fabric of space and time, causing artefacts, creatures, people, and even memories to be mysteriously whisked away and appear in the Muggle world. Upon the formation of an international task force set up to help contain the security issue in question, this team assumed managerial duties as well; being charged with the operational oversight of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force.
The Calamity Management Team was a group of experts in various fields that came together in an effort to understand and contain this new threat, and had the arduous job of monitoring the Calamity, tracking new surges and study their "behaviours". In addition to sorting, cataloguing, collating and archiving returned Foundables, studying and monitoring the Calamity and being in charge of supervising and assigning duties to members of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force, as well as training them for the task at hand, the latter of which they were assisted in by a number of Ministry officials and faculty members at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, including Headmistress Minerva McGonagall. They were also responsible for providing tools, equipment and other resources for the Calamity Investigators, such as the Landmark Flags, the modified Dark Detectors, the Threat meter, the Registry Research Board, the Calamity Incident Map and the Returned Foundable Manifests.
When the Foundables Spell was first cast, unleashing the Calamity upon the world, then Minister for Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, set up a committee of Ministry officials to help understand and contain the threat. To this end, Hermione Granger, a high-ranking official in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, and her assistant Constance Pickering, immediately went about studying the nature of the phenomenon, with the assistance of Harry Potter, the Head of the Auror Office. It quickly became clear, however, that the Ministry of Magic could not possibly put the matter to rest without outside help. This prompted her to instruct Pickering to set up a special response team to help putting the matter to rest. Given the dire conditions and numerous breaches of the Statute of Secrecy, however, it did not long before the International Confederation of Wizards became involved in establishing it, which hence went from being an internal field team at the Ministry of Magic to an International Task Force that would become known as the Statute of Secrecy Task Force, whose job it became to travel the world and return Foundables to their proper place, a task made even more difficult than it otherwise would have been due to a sort of defensive spell protecting it resulting in Confoundables.
It was Hermione Granger and Constance Pickering that came up with the term "Confoundable", a term they came up with as a bit of dry humour given how the defensive spell in question had a chaotic effect and was seen as "confounding," and ended up sticking.
Shortly after the Statute of Secrecy Task Force was founded, Kingsley Shacklebolt got personally involved and successfully modified a large number of Dark Detectors so that they became attuned to specifically detect hidden Traces created by the Calamity, which were quickly re-purposed for this reason.
It was also this team that put together came up with a sort of Calamity to-do list as means of marking progress, thus categorising everything that is lost in one place. While it was Hermione Granger and Constance Pickering that stood for the initial design, Gareth Greengrass was the one who cleverly bewitched it so that it would be magically expanded upon the discovery of new Foundables. Ms. Pickering tried to persuade the other members of the committee to actually name it the "Calamity To-Do-List", a proposal that was during the committee vote by a wide margin and instead was officially named simply the Registry.
When Ms. Pickering got the idea of using banners to identify areas with high concentration of Foundables that seemed to be somehow related to one another, her boyfriend, Lucas Sparrowvale, proceeded to spent six months travelling the world and placing them.
- Kingsley Shacklebolt. (Minister for Magic)
- Hermione Granger. (leader)
- Constance Pickering. (head of SOS)
- Harry Potter. (chief consulting Auror, part-time SOS instructor)
- Gareth Greengrass. (consultant, researcher.)
- Gethsemane Prickle. (consultant, chief instructor for SOS Magizoologists)
- Myra Curio (consulting Muggle expert, part-time SOS instructor)
- Cerberus Langarm (Auror, part-time SOS instructor)
- Mordecai Berrycloth (Auror, part-time SOS instructor)
- Dorian Fungbury (Auror, part-time SOS instructor)
- Rolf Scamander (consulting Magizoologist, part-time SOS instructor)
- Luna Lovegood (consulting Magizoologist, part-time SOS instructor)
- Naasz (consulting Magizoologist, part-time SOS instructor.)
- Charles Weasley (consulting Dragonologist, part-time SOS instructor)
- Minerva McGonagall (Hogwarts Headmistress, chief instructor for SOS Professors)
- Filius Flitwick (Charms Master, part-time SOS instructor)
- Rubeus Hagrid (Care of Magical Creatures Professor, part-time SOS instructor)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Brilliant Event: Baby Beasts)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Brilliant Event: Baby Beasts) (Hermione denotes them as the ones from whom SOS' receives its intelligence.)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (SOS Assignment Dialogue)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite "Brilliant Event: One Year Later Cup"
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (See here)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Auror skill tree
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Magizoologist skill tree