At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "The Draught is used to calm someone down when they suffer a shock or an emotional outburst."
- — Description[src]
A Calming Draught was a potion that was used to calm a person down after they have had suffered a shock, trauma, or emotional outburst. Even if it worked fine in majority of the situations, sometimes it may have given a disastrous outcome, for instance, if animals like cats and dogs drank it. Adding too much peppermint oil could give the drinker a burning sensation in their mouth and cause watery eyes or uncontrollable sobbing.
During the 1985–1986 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Jacob's sibling took Penny Haywood's help to brew a calming draught for Rubeus Hagrid's dog Fang, though Jacob's sibling's cat spilled it and drank the potion instead, which didn't work well on the cat.
During the 1990–1991 school year at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, several people were admitted to the hospital who had consumed Calming Draught made with too much peppermint oil, causing them to uncontrollably sob. Jacob's sibling and Healer Miriam Strout fixed the problem together at the hospital.
When Muggle monster hunter Laura Thorn's Obliviated memories of witnessing a Troll resurfaced after smelling Percival Shacklehorn's dirty socks, Ministry witch Mathilda Grimblehawk had St Mungo's Healer Omar Abasi bring her a Calming Draught, passing it off for a brew. Despite being confined to the Leaky Cauldron during the investigation, Thorn later escaped to look for the Troll while Abasi was busy brewing another Calming Draught.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 27 (The Centaur and the Sneak)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 2 (The Mysterious Madam Rakepick) - Potions Lesson "Calming Draught"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Side Quest "Scaredy-Cats"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery - Potions class
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 29 (Mind Of A Diva) - Assignment "Poisoned Potions"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, "AN ENCHANTED KISS" Achievement
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 2: The Smell of Fear, Act 3
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 2: The Smell of Fear, Act 4