At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
Cassandra Trelawney was a famous, celebrated witch and Seer. She was the great-great-grandmother to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Divination Professor Sybill Trelawney. She possessed the Inner Eye, which was passed on into generations later.
Magical abilities and skills
- Divination: It is known that she was a "genuine Seer" and that "Cassandra's gift has been much diluted over ensuing generations, although Cassandra's descendant, Sybill, had inherited more than she knew," implying that Cassandra was a very powerful Seer. She was referred to as "Legendary" on more than one occasion. Indeed, when Dumbledore was preparing to scrap the Hogwarts Divination programme, Sybill Trelawney's heritage (being descended from Cassandra) was enough to get her a job interview for the post.
Behind the scenes
- "Trelawney" may have been Cassandra's married name, since her great-great-granddaughter shares this surname. It is, however, possible that Cassandra was a single mother or simply did not take her husband's name.
- This being true, Cassandra Trewlaney may have been Cassandra Vablatsky before she married.
Cassandra is generally taken to mean "she who entangles men". This meaning came from the Greek culture and was translated to mean various other things as well; such as "oracle".
In Greek mythology, Cassandra was a princess of Troy. Her beauty caused Apollo to grant her the gift of prophecy. However, when she did not return his love, Apollo placed a curse on her so that no one would ever believe her predictions.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Professors: Sybill Trelawney · Firenze|
|Known Seers: Calchas · Cassandra Vablatsky · Cassandra Trelawney · Gellert Grindelwald · Inigo Imago · Johan Hoffman · Liz Tuttle's mother · Mopsus · Professor Mopsus · Susie Sooth · Tycho Dodonus · Unidentified Canadian Seer · Unidentified female Seer · Unidentified male Seer|
|Textbooks: The Dream Oracle · Unfogging the Future|
|Methods: Astrology · Bibliomancy · Cartomancy · Catoptromancy · Crystal-gazing · Crystal ball · Dream interpretation · Fire-omens · Heptomology · Ichthyomancy · Myomancy · Ornithomancy · Ovomancy · Palmistry · Scrying mirror · Tarot cards · Tessomancy · Xylomancy|
|Divination at Hogwarts: Divination (class) · Divination Classroom · Divination staircase · Sybill Trelawney's office · Classroom 11 · Xylomancy (class)|