Cassandra means "oracle". In Greek mythology, Cassandra means "she who entangles men" and she was the daughter of King Priam and Queen Hecuba. Apollo, god of archery and poetry, as well as oracles, fell in love for her beauty and gave her the gift of prophecy. However, when she did not return his love, Apollo placed a curse on her so that no one would ever believe her predictions and her visions would only be of tragic events yet to come.
Behind the scenes
- Vablatsky’s death date was given on a Famous Wizard Card in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which takes place in 1991-1992. Vablatsky’s death date is given as 6 years later. This could be a reference to the Seer's skills, given that she could have predicted her own death.
- She was likely named after Madame Helena Blavatsky, a 19th-century psychic and founder of the Theosophy movement and early proponent of New Age philosophy, who was declared a fraud in 1885 by the Society of Psychical Research. She was known for fusing ideas of modern science with esoteric tenets of Eastern spirituality.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Professors: Sybill Trelawney · Firenze|
|Known Seers: Calchas · Cassandra Vablatsky · Cassandra Trelawney · Gellert Grindelwald · Inigo Imago · Mopsus · Professor Mopsus · Unidentified Canadian Seer · Unidentified female Seer · Unidentified male Seer|
|Textbooks: The Dream Oracle · Unfogging the Future|
|Methods: Astrology · Cartomancy · Catoptromancy · Crystal-gazing · Crystal ball · Dream interpretation · Fire-omens · Heptomology · Ichthyomancy · Myomancy · Ornithomancy · Ovomancy · Palmistry · Scrying mirror · Tarot cards · Tessomancy · Xylomancy|
|Divination at Hogwarts: Divination (class) · Divination Classroom · Divination staircase · Sybill Trelawney's office · Classroom 11 · Xylomancy (class)|