Behind the scenes
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Cassiopeia may well have been a member of the Slytherin House. However, she attended Hogwarts c. 1926 - 1933, when Slughorn may not have been Potions master.
- Since Cassiopeia and Callidora were born in the same year, it is likely that they were classmates at Hogwarts.
- Cassiopeia is a queen in Greek mythology, and her daughter is Andromeda. Another relative was Andromeda Tonks, a grand-niece of Cassiopeia Black.
- Cassiopeia died two years after her brother Pollux and one after their cousin, and the same year as two other members of the Black family. At that time, Cassiopeia's grand-nephew (Sirius Black III) was in Azkaban.
- On the family tree featured in the film, her first name is misspelt "Cassiapeia".
Like many members of the House of Black, Cassiopeia is named after a constellation. The constellation is in turn named after Queen Cassiopeia of Greek mythology, a beautiful but vain woman whose arrogant boasting led to her downfall. The name is derived from the Greek Κασσιόπη, meaning "she whose words excel".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Black family tree
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 4, Horace Slughorn states: "The whole Black family had been in my house, but Sirius ended up in Gryffindor!" This implies that all Blacks except Sirius were sorted into Slytherin while Slughorn was teaching at Hogwarts. As revealed in Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies, Chapter 3 (Horace Slughorn), Slughorn had "completed half a century of service" at the time of his retirement in 1981, meaning he started teaching there circa 1931. Cassiopeia, born in 1915, presumably attended Hogwarts from 1926 to 1933, and thus would have been a student of Slughorn for at least part of her time at Hogwarts.