At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Castelobruxo castle was an imposing square edifice of golden rock, often compared to a temple. The school was bewitched to appear as a ruin to Muggles, and both building and grounds were protected by Caipora.
Castelobruxo was implied to be at least as old as Hogwarts — that is, over a thousand years. This was due to the fact that both castles had been enchanted since their beginnings so they appeared as a ruin to Muggles; it was debated which school first came up with the idea.
During Armando Dippet's tenure as Hogwarts Headmaster, he was visited by Benedita Dourado, then-Headmistess of Castelobruxo. When Dippet complained about the antics of Peeves the Poltergeist, Dourado offered to send him some Caipora to show him "what trouble really is" (the offer was not accepted).
Bill Weasley once had a pen-friend who attended this school. He wanted Bill to participate in a student exchange programme, but the Weasley family was unable to afford the trip. Offended, he sent Bill a cursed hat which made his ears shrivel up.
During the 1986–1987 school year, ancient ruins were discovered beneath the school and the famous Curse Breaker Patricia Rakepick travelled to the school to investigate these ruins. During the exploration, she met with Albus Dumbledore, who invited her to work at Hogwarts as the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor the next year.
The same year, the Castelobruxo Hippogriff Club sent a copy of the first edition of Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle! by Libatius Borage to their counterparts at Hogwarts as a goodwill gift. Unfortunately, the book was destroyed by Squawk, a baby Occamy in the Hogwarts club's care. However, the students were able to restore the book and sent the Castelobruxo club some Laughing Potion brewed from the book's recipe in return.
- Alanza Alves (possibly graduated)
- João Coelho (graduated)
- Libatius Borage (graduated)
- William Weasley's Brazilian pen-friend (possibly graduated)
Students at Castelobruxo wore bright green robes outlined by yellow line patterns, with red ring patterns on both of the upper sleeves, and yellow and blue triangular patterns in a stripe halfway up the hem with two tassels of the same colours attached to it.
- Herbology: Herbology was one of the subjects taught at Castelobruxo, as Castelobruxo students were especially advanced in Herbology.
- Magizoology: Magizoology was another subject taught at Castelobruxo, as Castelobruxo students were especially advanced in Magizoology.
- The name of this school is derived from the Portuguese words "castelo", meaning "castle", and "bruxo", meaning "wizard", thus literally translating as "wizard castle".
- The pronunciation of Castelobruxo is /kas.ˈtɛ.lu ˈbɾuʃʊ/ or, as rendered on Pottermore, "Cass - tell - o - broo - shoo". This conforms to the original Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation.
Behind the scenes
- While Castelobruxo's Pottermore entry implies that the institution is just as old as Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the Portuguese colonisation of Brazil only started in the 16th century. This suggests that the school may have been founded by indigenous peoples some five hundred years before colonisation, when the country was a vast region populated by thousands of tribes of different ethnicities. The Portuguese name might, therefore, be a byproduct of the Marquis of Pombal's 1758 ban of Brazilian indigenous languages.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Pottermore (First identified as Castelobruxo) (First appearance)
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Castelobruxo" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 7 (Bagman and Crouch)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 10 (Among Friends)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "A BAD OMEN" Achievement
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 22 (The Exchange Student)
- Hogwarts Mystery official Twitter
|The eleven schools|
|Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|