Charis may be the mother of Barty Crouch Snr, although this has not been confirmed. Through her disowned sister Cedrella, she is a maternal aunt of Arthur Weasley and a relative of the Weasley family, and through her other sister Callidora, she is related to the Longbottom family.
Behind the scenes
- On the left side of the family tree, where are depicted ancient ancestors, we can see Phoebe Black, whose face is similar to Charis. The production team simply recycled Charis's face to save time, as they did with Elladora and Callidora.
Charis is named after the Charites (singular Charis), the Greek goddesses of charm and beauty. The Greek charis means "grace, kindness."
There is an asteroid called 627 Charis which was discovered on 4 March 1907 (twelve years before Charis's birth); this connects her to the Black family's history of astrological names.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 Black family tree
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 4, Horace Slughorn states: "The whole Black family had been in my house, but Sirius ended up in Gryffindor!" This implies that all Blacks except Sirius were sorted into Slytherin while Slughorn was teaching at Hogwarts. As revealed in Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies, Chapter 3 (Horace Slughorn), Slughorn had "completed half a century of service" at the time of his retirement in 1981, meaning he started teaching there circa 1931. Charis, born in 1919, presumably attended Hogwarts from 1930 to 1937, and thus would have been a student of Slughorn for at least part of her time at Hogwarts.
- ↑ Although it has never been confirmed that Septimus and Cedrella are Arthur's parents, this can be inferred based on Sirius Black's statement in Ch. 6 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that Arthur was "something like [his] second cousin once removed." The Black family tree establishes Cedrella as a first cousin once removed of both Orion and Walburga Black, Sirius's parents. Thus, any children she had would be their second cousins, and second cousins once removed from their sons Sirius and Regulus. Also, almost all of Sirius's relatives can be seen on the Black family tree because both his parents were born into the House of Black, making it unlikely that he could be related to Arthur in a way not shown. See also this talk page and an HPL essay at for more information.