At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A charmed skeleton was a human skeleton that has been magically reanimated by a Dark Wizard, similar to Inferi. They were found in the Shrieking Shack and attacked anyone they came into contact with by throwing bones at them. Lord Voldemort also summoned and used them in the Duel in Little Hangleton.
At a Hallowe'en Feast
During a Hallowe'en feast in the 1980s at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Albus Dumbledore was known to have charmed skeletons to dance for the students' entertainment. it is unclear if Dumbledore used necromancy to do so, or a movement charm similar to Piertotum Locomotor.
Guarding the Shrieking Shack
Charmed Skeletons guarded the tunnel from the Whomping Willow to the Shrieking Shack. In 1994, when Harry Potter and Hermione Granger entered the tunnel to save Ron Weasley from Sirius Black, these skeletons attacked them. Harry and Hermione needed to work together to defeat the skeletons using the Tickling Charm, as they only lost an arm if Harry or Hermione attacked them alone.
Duel in Little Hangleton
After his resurrection in 1995, Lord Voldemort made some Charmed Skeletons from bones in the Little Hangleton graveyard, and had them attack Harry Potter. Harry used simple bombarding jinxes to defeat them.
Behind the scenes
- They appear in certain levels of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7. They appear as a pile of bones. When you use the Levitation Charm to assemble their bones together, they form a skeleton wearing a top hat, who will start to tap-dance. When this happens the game plays a piece of music. They will not attack the player and can be broken again with the casting of any spell, and can be rebuilt again.
- In theory, Charmed Skeletons do not differ from Inferi, with the only visible difference being that skeletons have further decayed than the corpses Inferi are made of. It is possible that the charmed skeletons were actually Inferi, mistaken for a different creature because of the differing appearance. However, when looking at the overall differences between Charmed Skeletons and Inferi are that Charmed Skeletons are not confirmed to be afraid of heat and light, while Inferi are confirmed to be afraid of both heat and light.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Possible appearance)