Chauncey Oldridge (1342 – 1379) was a wizard and the first known victim of Dragon Pox. Oldridge was born in 1342, eventually contracting Dragon Pox at some point in his life. As a result, his skin turned green and became covered with blemishes. While others before him have contracted Dragon Pox, he was the first to succumb to it in 1379, with no cure yet available. Becoming famous for being the first person to fall victim to Dragon pox, Chauncey Oldridge became immortalised on a Chocolate Frog Card.
The name "Chauncey" comes from a Norman surname of unknown meaning. It was used as a given name in American in honour of Harvard president Charles Chauncey (1592-1672).
Behind the scenes
- Before the publication of Quidditch Through the Ages, it appeared that Oldridge was the first person ever to contract Dragon Pox in history. However, the book clarifies it was already known to Wizardkind at least a century before Oldridge, so in this case, the word "victim" is assumed to mean he was the first person to have died from it.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 J. K. Rowling's official site
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages -- Gunhilda Kneen was known to have Dragon Pox about a century earlier than Oldridge, flourishing in the 13th century